Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting 2 separate domains on the same network to one gateway

Hello,

I have 2 separate domains on the same network and both of them are connected to a switch which is connceted to the company router.
    There is no trust relation between the 2 domains.

The first domain is using 192.168.2.0 subnet(2003 server)
    The second domain is using 192.168.5.0 subnet(2003 server)

both of them use DHCP and DNS for their client machine.

I dont have problem with the first domain because the default gateway is 192.168.2.200 - a linux machine.

The problem is with the second domain to connect to the internet.
    In the Second Domain the Domain Controller has 2 NIC'S :
    One for the clients side, And the other to connect to the switch and finally to the gateway.

My question is what should be the best way/method to connect my Second Domain(192.168.5.0) to the internet?(RRAS maybe?)
    Again, The default gatway is an ip address of 192.168.2.200 .

Thanks,

Eyal

Re: Connecting 2 separate domains on the same network to one gateway

just add the appropriate routes on the router, ensure it has an interfce in the correct subnet, then make this interface the default gateway for the secondary subnet.no real need to play with RRAS for this
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

DHCP may be an issue, although with appropriate subnetting on the router, the two DHCP servers should not see each other
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

On the Second Domain, one network interface on the domain controller is configured with 192.168.5.0 address and has DNS and DHCP enabled.
        The other network interface has an ip address of 192.168.2.0 and uses
        The DNS and DHCP of the FIrst Domain in order to reach the internet.

The thing is that the clients of the 192.168.5.0 subnet do not have connectivity to the internet.
        The most that they can reach is the Second network interface on the domain controller.

Is there a way to get connectivity without tempering with the router?
        Does Adding a static route can fix the connectivity problem?
        If do, on which interface should i set the static route?
        Maybe just Using RIP2 Protocol ,in both domains, will fix the problem?

Thanks

Eyal

Comment

What is the network setting (IP and subnet mask) on the router?
          And does it support multiple internal IPs?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So can the clients on the 5.0 subnet ALREADY communicate with the clients on the 2.0 subnet ?

(ie, ping 192.168.2.200 ?)
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

No, the clients in the 5.0 subnet cant ping the clients in the 2.0 network.

Regarding Ossian question - i'll have to check.

Comment

by the way, queris with nslookup from the clients on the 5.0 network, works fine and that is because i've enabled forwarder on my dns server.

Comment

192.168.5.1 has been added as the default gateway on the router.

On the DC i have 2 NICS.

The first one serves the clients(dns,dhcp) and has an ip of 192.168.5.9 and i can ping it from one of my clients.
                  The second one is incharge of the connectivity to the gateway and has
                  An ip of 192.168.5.2 and i cannot ping it from one of my clients!
                  I cannot get to the internet from the client at all, only from the DC.

Can some one tell me whats wrong?

Eyal

Comment

What is the routers IP and Subnet Mask?
                    (I presume the IP is 192.168.5.1 but please confirm)
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

The ip of the router is 192.168.5.1 indeed.

Comment

And the subnet mask? (This is the vital piece of information I have now asked for at least three times)
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Ossian the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
                          Last edited by eyal; 6th October 2010, 11:09.

Comment

Change it to 255.255.0.0 (overkill) and it should see both subnets
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Actually Now i use only one subnet 192.168.5.0 on my DC.
                              One nic that serves the client has 192.168.5.9 (dns+dhcp for the clints)and
                              The second nic that goes to the firewall has 192.168.5.2.

Now you say that i need to change the Sunbnet mask of the
                              Default gateway(192.168.5.1) to 255.255.0.0 and then the clients should
                              Go out to the internet.
                              Is that what you mean?

Comment

Working...
                              X