No announcement yet.

What is the best way to set up a RAID

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to set up a RAID

Can i please post a question in this thread? I have had a read through and could do with advise. I didn't think it necessary to start my own thread so I hope the OP doesn't mind.

I am taking delivery of a new server that will be our fileserver for 40 users.

It has 4 1TB hot swap disks in. I am not very clued up on RAID so could someone please advise the best setup for me. I want two partitions, one C:\ drive for O/S and pagefile, and one D:\ for the fileshare. From my reading it looks like i should have a RAID 1 (mirror) for the OS, and RAID 5 for the fileshare.

Supposing i want a 100 GB parition for the OS and the rest of the space going into the big file share what is the best way to setup the RAID please.

Thanks very much.

Re: Operation with RAID-5 setup

With 4 drives you could have 2 x 1TB RAID 1 arrays but probably you would want a single 3Tb RAID 5
    You would then create OS (100Gb) and Data (2.9Tb) volumes on it

Alternatively you could get another drive and set up:
    1Tb RAID 1 (OS + 900Gb)
    2Tb RAID 5 (Data)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: What is the best way to set up a RAID

Neemz, I have split your question off to a new thread. Always start a new thread when you have a question because it saves confusion if the OP posts after you have asked yours.

Departed: 23rd December 2015