Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to best set maximum folder share size in Server 2003

Hi all,

We are replacing our Windows Server 2003 file server with a brand new server. The existing fileserver has an E:\ drive that is a 700GB partition on the RAID. This is what we used as the file share. Now we are finally getting close to the 700GB limit and also the server is 5 years old so we have bought a replacement.

The new server is coming with 3TB of usable space over a RAID 5 array. I was going to parition off 100GB for the C:\ drive thus leaving nearly 3TB of usable space for the fileshare. The thing is I don't want to let the users know there is 3TB of usable space! As sure enough it will fill up very quickly then we will have issues with the LTO4 backup tape we currently use which has a 800GB limit uncompressed.

In an ideal world I am looking for a solution that allows me to gradually increase the maximum size of the share over time. eg initially I will set the share size to 800GB, then slowly increase over time to 1TB, 1.5TB and so on.

What do people think is the most simple way to accomplish this?

Thanks all.

Re: How to best set maximum folder share size in Server 2003

If you publish the share via DFS, the share size reported in Explorer is in fact the size of the drive on which DFS is installed.

For example, I have a file server that has >2TB free space. The shares are published through DFS that is installed on a separate Domain Controller and which has 161GB of free space on the system drive that the DFS roots have been created on.

When staff open Explorer, they see the share, but the size/free space is 161GB instead of 2TB.

Also, using DFS has many advantages over mapping \\server\sharename shares.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I've used the File Server Resource Manager to do exactly what you're looking for.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...03(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Damn, beat me by an hour.

Oh yes, gotta love the FSRM especially with the ability to restrict certain files from being saved. No more MP3, MOV, AVI etc files being downloaded.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

@ScottMcD:

Ha! Awesome I've only used the reporting feature so far. This is going to be very useful. Thanks!
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMcD View Post
            I've used the File Server Resource Manager to do exactly what you're looking for.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...03(WS.10).aspx
            superb! thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
            X