Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDS imaging/2003 server.

Hello.
    Im trying to roll out images using wds server and any new machines dont see the wds server.
    after i sysprep them, next i f12 network service boot, follow the screens, then tick upload image to wds server, but it times out and cant see it.
    next i press shift+f10, put in the cd rom the driver disk and type
    drvload driver.inf <example.
    wdsutil utilizenetwork
    this doesnt help and cant see the wds server,
    so next (the part i think im getting wrong), i copied the capture file from the server, then used waik to inject the drivers, followed the steps and all was successful, next i put it on the wds server and chose replace in the wds console.
    when i booted up the laptop and tried to capture the sysprep image it couldnt see the server again.
    I was thinking of just saving the .wim locally and uploading it to the server and manually adding it, but id really like to get this working, Please help

also, the imaging server works perfectly for optiplex 755's 745's, and latitude d531's
    but fails on hp compaq 8000, latitiude 6400, this is a problem with windows xp, all win 7 images are fine.

Just a guess, tell me if im going about this wrong.
    i think instead of inject the drivers to the capture file, i need to get a new boot.wim from the win7 disk, inject the drivers to that boot.wim, then follow the steps using that file to then create the capture file from it, and then it will work? am i thinking on the right lines here?

also, if i sysprep the image and save it to c: then upload the .wim manually and add it, will it deploy to the compaq 8000 and latitude 6400 ok?
    thanks.
    Last edited by uk_network; 15th September 2010, 00:04.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: WDS imaging/2003 server.

Any ideas anyone?
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Damn, no reply in 8 whole hours, in the middle of the night, and when you felt the issue was important enough to double post about. Absolutely LOUSY QoS these days

I have deleted the identical thread in Misc forum.

You will get a response when someone has the time to look into it.
      Question, when you boot from the WinPE image, can you see the WDS server at all (ping or browse)?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, its ok, now, i think i fixed it.
        1.) after the sysprep I stored the .wim localy as it couldnt see the wds server, then i manually uploaded and added it as an install image.

2.)Next I created the customboot.wim from boot.wim with all the network drivers i could find. Then added this new one as a boot image, and created the capture file from it.

3.)After that i did a pxe boot of the latitude 6400 and the image went straight on it.
        ((I didnt test if it would have worked with out doing the 2nd part)) But i really hope that was the correct method to getting this working next time i want to image a new machine.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Personally I just boot off of the CDs w/ network drivers that I made last month (can't remember squat about doing it lol), select the OS, select the custom drivers (ones that are more complicated than just an inf), select Office, Adobe, etc. Done deal. Only thing I have to do after it's done is to change the time zone and activate office.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X