Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems accessing USB drive

Hi,

I have a 2TB Western Digital Elements USB drive that I want to connect to a 2003 server (Win2k3 Storage server edition SP2), but I am having issues.

I know the drive works on another Win2k3 server and I have copied data to / from the device etc.

When I first plugged it in, Windows did not detect any new hardware and I had to manually scan hardware in Device manager, which seemed to work.

It still doesn't show in explorer, however it does show up in Disk management, but it doesn't show any information for the drive and it doesn't assign it a drive letter.

If I try and assign a drive letter I get the following error :

I've checked the event log and can't find anything that relates to this error.

Also, if I right click the drive and select properties, i get the following :

Again, ther doesn't seem to be any error in the event log that relates to that error.

I hope someone can help as this is driving me insane!

Thanks for listening, I hope I've included all the right info!

Cheers

Last edited by jacko101; 6th September 2010, 11:37.

Re: Problems accessing USB drive

Have you tried different USB ports, or possibly via a hub?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Have you tried different USB ports, or possibly via a hub?
      Thanks for the reply.

I've tried all 4 USB ports on the server but no success, but I haven't tried it through a hub, I will certainly check that out.

I have since tried a 16Gb USB thumb drive and that seems to work fine, so that confuses me even more!

I've looked for specific drivers for the WD drive, but can't find anything that relates to Win2k3!

Comment

Do you need to Initialise that HDD on this Server?
        Is there data on the HDD? Can you format the 2TB HDD on this Server?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Do you need to Initialise that HDD on this Server?
          Not sure what you mean? I've plugged the USB drive in another Win2k3 server and used it OK?
          Is there data on the HDD? Can you format the 2TB HDD on this Server?
          I've copied data to the drive and accessed it fine on that server, but when I connect to this other server, the drive doesn't show in explorer and doesn't respond correctly in disk management.

Comment

What are the Server makes and models?
            What version HDD do you have? (Green or Black)
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What are the Server makes and models?
              What version HDD do you have? (Green or Black)
              The server is a HP DL360G5. The only thing I'm questioning and trying to find out about is the version of Win2k3, which is the storage server edition od Win2k3. Not sure if this has any limitations not associated with a 'normal' version of Win2k3?

Not sure what you mean by are the HDD's green or black?

Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Storage Server is standard 2K3 with some additions. Should not have any difficulty with drives.

The fact you have no problems with small drives but issues with 2Tb does suggest some BIOS limit. I have had problems with large RAID arrays for similar reasons.

Green and Black (also do very good chocolate) are two different ranges of drives from WD
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Storage Server is standard 2K3 with some additions. Should not have any difficulty with drives.

The fact you have no problems with small drives but issues with 2Tb does suggest some BIOS limit. I have had problems with large RAID arrays for similar reasons.

Green and Black (also do very good chocolate) are two different ranges of drives from WD
                  Thanks for the info! I'll check the bios settings when I can take the server down.

Also, the drive is black in colour, so I assume it's the Black range! Link to drive purchased here

Comment

IMHO do some research on the HP site to see if the model has any limitations. It is highly unlikely there will be a BIOS setting to suddenly enable more than 2Tb
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

IMHO do some research on the HP site to see if the model has any limitations.
                      I've looked on HP's site and it's as useful as ever! A correction to my last post, the server is actually a HP DL380 G5 Storage base Server; Still doesn't help me on the HP web site though!

I have also found this error in the event log :

I've tried to google that, but I'm not getting much sense out of the results!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comment

I'm going to throw in the towel here -- you may want to raise a case with either HP or WD

Sorry
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Are BOTH server HP DL360G5 models?

Green HDD is an "environmentally friendly" unit that uses less power. It does this by spinning slower and as a result has a lower performance. The WD USB box probably has a Green drive as I believe they are cheaper and data flow is restricted to USB 2.0 speed of 480mbps.

Black HDDs have a higher performance. They spin faster and may even have a much bigger cache of 64MB. Guessing with that and I can't be stuffed looking it up right now.

There have been known issues with the WD USB storage devices not being detected by some hardware.

If you open up a Web Browser, go to Google and type western digital green you can learn all about the green HDDs. You can do the same western digital black as well. I just found one that compares green to black. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...+black&gs_rfai=

I would never buy a WD Green HDD as it has a 3 year warranty. A WD Black HDD has a 5 year warranty. Anyway, back to the above Server question.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X