No announcement yet.

Domain controller crashed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain controller crashed

I have a client who had a domain controller running domain that has crashed (the whole raid 5 array). It was their Exchange server also (I know, I know). Anyway, they have a file server which also runs server 2003 and was a domain member.

There is no backup of the active directory and I want to set up a new domain on the file server and recreate the user accounts (only like 18 or so).

What is the best way to copy their old domain profiles into the new domain profiles?

Re: Domain controller crashed

Without a good backup you'll be creating a domain from scratch for them.

What recovery methods have you tried???

Is the server beyond repair completely???

How were the users setup??? Did they have roaming profiles or local profiles?? If its local then all you really need to do is copy the local profile over to the newly created profile.

What are you goiong to do about exchange???

Re: Domain controller crashed has a pretty good tool for profile migration.
      JM @ IT Training & Consulting

If they need access to their files on the file server in the meantime, you could allocate some local logon accounts and get them to use those credentials when connecting to the shares.

Use FSMT to archive the profile on their machines, then restore it after they have logged onto the new domain at least once.

Remember you will have to rebuild exchange as well as the new domain -- the old installation will not work again -- so make sure you get email out somehow!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **