Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Domain to new WinServer03 Domain??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Domain to new WinServer03 Domain??

I have to rebuild 2 Linux domain controllers to windows server 03 as they're not working and have lots of issues. Also, the company has changed hands and requires a new domain name anyway.

I've rebuilt one with WinServer03

My question is if I give the Windows box a new IP and Domain name will it affect clients currently on the network on the old domain? If they're not pointed at it they shouldn't have any trouble should they?

So if I build this new domain along side the linux one, with new DNS server and a fresh I.P i can migrate users over with minimum hassle??

It's probably very easy just don't wanna bring the whole deck of cards down during working hours.

Thanks for your help

Re: Linux Domain to new WinServer03 Domain??

1. CLients will be able to login to their existing PC with cached credentials, although they will not be able to login to a PC they have not logged in before and will not be able to change passwords.

2. Once the Windows 2003 domain is built you will need to re-add the PCs to the new domain and setup all the user accounts from scratch (or import them from a CSV file using CSVDE tool).

3. After accounts are set up you need to get user's to login with their new Win 2003 accounts and make sure they have access to any resources they require.
    Also, their old windows profile may need copying across to new account as well.

Comment

In short no because you exisitng clients don't know about the new windows domiain.

Comment

So do i have to create the new user and computer accounts before trying to add a newly build test machine to the domain?

At present, the test machine can't see the domain box.. can't ping it either.

They're both on the same subnet and both have static i.p.s

Where am I going wrong?

Comment

I think it's the FW that is causing the trouble.

What ip details should it have?

Re: WINS; should it be activated? If so what ip details should be in there?

Comment

What firewall and what IP details???

If you have a WINS server use that IP address.

Comment

Ok, still having the same trouble.

I can ping everything from the domain server but it doesn't show up on any ping sweeps from client machines.

Also, the firewall service is off but can't be turned on. It says that there is another service using it. Is that normal?

Do I have to add anything to any lmhost/host files to enable connectivity to the domain?

Comment

What are your clients using for DNS???

Can you ping via IP??

Nope nothing needed in LMHOSTS or HOSTS.

Comment

Working...
                X