Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC DEAD. Small network 1 DC

Remote site. Small network.
    1 DC (dhcp,dns, file server). Hardware failure. Dead.

Ideally, need to keep the same name and IP for at least file server.
    How to proceed with new DC creation? How to remove old name?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mla; 18th August 2010, 20:52.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: DC DEAD. Small network 1 DC

Is the dead DC unrecoverable? If so then you're essentially looking at building a new DC and a new domain. You can use the same names, ip addresses, etc. as you're going to have to join all the clients to the new domain so it really doesn't matter at this point.

Comment

It is a small site. There are other DCs in the domain so users can login.
      Until new server will be installed we want to install DC on virtual machine.
      I just received the confirmation that local admin doesn't have Enterprise admin rights So he can not run NTDSUTIL to remove the failed DC object.

But the server should be mount...

I guess the best: they will install new DC with new name. And create separate files server... So redo everything. And learn that second DC (backup) is must HAVE.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

If it is part of a larger domain, you can remove the failed DC on any working DC
        Then just create a new DC (with new name) and let it replicate over the WAN.

In general, separate DCs and file servers, also remember to back up, which I guess was NOT being done in this case
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

you are right
          There are 2 resopncible... I just tried to help.

Another question not related to DC but to data...

The server is dead (Systemboard). No identical server.
          Is it possible to recover the data from the mirror (2 SCSI drives).
          Let's assume the Raid controller is OK. Wouldn't connect the controller and drives to another server allow to access the data on disks?

Thx.

Comment

Yes, it should
            Since it is mirrored, I would connect one drive only and recover from that, keep the other one in case anything goes wrong
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X