how to hide the fullpath...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to hide the fullpath...

can anyone plz help me..how to hide the full path when a drive(network) is mapped to some clients using group policy(home folder).

eg: sri on H:\\servername\sharedfoldr

I want to hide this "\\servername\sharedfoldr"

it should show only "sri on H:"

Hop some smart guys and gals vl help me solve this problem

Re: how to hide the fullpath...

What is the client OS?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

client os-windows XP

i want to hide the full path - homefolder path

in group policy -properties of usr-profile-(Windows server2003)-connect to Z:

not from logon script.

thnks and reply

Comment

hello ossian sir...

hop u got wht i meant....
        by using group policy--we can map drivs to clients
        prop.. of user -profile-homefolder-connect to Z:....thn we gives the path isnt it?
        but whn mappd it vl show the full path in client machine who is using XP.
        connect Z: to \\servername\shared folder\%username%

Sir i want to hide the full path "\\servername\shared folder\%username%"

...not by usin logon scripts

is ter anyway sir?????

waitin 4 ur reply.....
        thnkx

Comment

As I understand it, all you want to do is to change how network drives are displayed:

At the moment you see "username on \\servername\users (H: )"
          You want to see "username (H: )"

Have you tried different view settings in XP?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ossian sir...

All the things should be done from SERVR..
            by usin logon script we can hide the full path ...but sir ...i want to hide the full path whn mappin it through HOMEFOLDER....

anythin possible sir??

Comment

No, I don't think you can do it on the server side, unless you push registry settings to define a particular view when the user goes into My Computer

Why is it so important?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

nop v can hide the path through Logon script ...so there shud b a way to hide the othr path too that is through homefoldr path
                ....thts y am askin..
                try it...find it ... smehow sir..u will feel good whn findin smethin u dont knw......

hop u will me....

anyway we will see.....

take care.....reply

Comment

Can you please use more formal English -- txtspk doesnt make it easier to understand

Can you post a copy of your logon script that hides the path at the moment?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

I am trying to help you but you are not helping yourself. Please be aware that all members here give up their free time to help others and comments like "you will feel good" and "ask your boss" do not encourage people to do this.

Can you please review my post #5 and confirm that is the result you are wanting to get?
                    Can you also provide the script you mention in your post #8 as it seems to give a solution close to the problem.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

wht happend?I was tryin 2 encourage u sir....anyway i deletd the msg.,
                      here goes the logon script

Comment

Set objWSHNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
                        objWSHNet.MapNetworkDrive "V:", "\\server\shardfoldr"
                        if err.number=0 then
                        sDrive = "V:\"
                        Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
                        oShell.NameSpace(sDrive).Self.Name = "Data"
                        end if
                        this is the logon script to hide the path usin logon script...
                        but i want it through home folder.

jacob

Comment

Well, given you are mapping the home drive to H separately, you could have a logon script that just sets the name:

Code:
                          sDrive = "H:\"
                          Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
                          oShell.NameSpace(sDrive).Self.Name = "Home"
                          You would need to be sure the policy setting the drive applied before the script ran, or maybe a long-ish delay at the start of the script to ensure the drive was there when it attempted to set the name

You will not be able to do it purely on the server side as it is a client setting that is being changed, totally separate from the part of the script that actually does the drive mapping.

There may be a registry setting that stores the name of the drive that could be changed through a script, but since it is a network drive I do not think the setting will be permanent.

Note I have deleted your two posts bouncing this topic -- it does take a few minutes to consider and type up a response.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

sir, thnks for the reply

may i ask u sir....
                            is this a logon script?

is there anyway like usin $ ....etc to hide the path??

Comment

Originally posted by jacob10 View Post
                              is this a logon script?
                              Does the first line of my post #13 give you a clue?

Originally posted by jacob10 View Post
                              is there anyway like usin $ ....etc to hide the path??
                              You are confusing two separate things:
                              Use of a $ in a share name to hide the share when browsing the machine it is shared on
                              The name that is displayed by default when you map a networked drive to a letter. This is typically "sharename on servername (L: )" and shows the $ if that is part of the sharenam

What your script is doing is changing the display name after the drive has been mapped
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X