Server 2003 Folder Redirection & Permission Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Folder Redirection & Permission Issues

I have read thru about 10 different scenarios and tried each of the solutions listed here. Some are very closely related to my issue. I hope someone will be able to assist in resolving my issue.

To start off this network was a mess and the organization of AD was completely a mess. Folder Redirection was enabled however when users sat at multiple pc's their homeshares would be redirected into different locations. I have condensed all the locations into one specific location ...homedir\staff\%username% etc etc. I went thru AD, Cleaned up the GPO's and created one single GPO responsible for folder redirection as listed above. I have 3 D.C.'s (olddc1, newdc2, newdc3). Offline files are not enabled however it is a possibility to enable if it won't negatively affect the end user or network performance ( In other words looking for a redundancy solution) if I take the main file server offline for maintenance (suggestions appreciated). The main issue is now the clients (all Win Xp sp3) workstations will not let go of the old folder location(...homedir\oldlocation\%username%) . I can't change the location (right click on my documents folder>> properties) of the folder redirection manually from the workstations. I've tried gpupdate /sync and gpupdate /force alternatively and consecutively by logging off and restarting the machines. After, I run a gpupdate and can see that the policies are being pulled from two D.C.'s (olddc1 and newdc2). I believe the issue comes from olddc1. I've powered down olddc1 and on the clients ran gpupdate commands again and the clients can't release the information (in other words gpresult shows that the policy is still being pulled from olddc1). Olddc1 does not have any FSMO roles. Now please note that I have had mixed results where after running both gpupdate sync and force that I have had SOME machines successfully redirect themselves to the new and proper location and not had any issues. There are still a significant number of machines which won't release the old location though.

Second issue:
    Same Scenario, same server, same configuration. The newly created target location of the homedirectory for the users seem to not grant them permission to the folder. Someone really jacked up the File/permissions on these shares. I have followed a couple of Microsoft KB articles on how to reset NTFS permissions and have done so and some users can access the documents folder but in short of exclusively granting rights of each user to their own My Documents folder, I seem to have a permission issue on each of these user folders. Troubleshooting steps/hints please.

I need help quickly please. I have subscribed instantly to this thread. So feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Best Regards,
    Kern

Re: Server 2003 Folder Redirection & Permission Issues

Can anyone help on this issue?

Comment

Have you checked the DCs are replicating OK?

IMHO, when faced with odd behaviour and multiple DCs, demote all but one of them (ideally flatten them and reinstall the OS) then join them to the domain with new names and do a DCPROMO.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Have you checked the DCs are replicating OK?

IMHO, when faced with odd behaviour and multiple DCs, demote all but one of them (ideally flatten them and reinstall the OS) then join them to the domain with new names and do a DCPROMO.
        Yes I ran a check to ensure that NTFRS is running properly and all of the DC's are replicating properly with no error messages in the Event log. I believe the issue is with the clients and getting them to release the "old" location. I've read that there are registry entries which don't remove themselves even after the policy has been removed. I'm just not sure how to go about modifying those entries. I'll speak with my supervisor to see if he's willing to go that route. I appreciate your advice.

Any other advice is welcome.

Comment

OK -- try, instead of just removing the policy, applying another policy that reverses the setting.

GPO "tattoos" the registry so most changes are permanent and need to be explicitly undone
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            OK -- try, instead of just removing the policy, applying another policy that reverses the setting.

GPO "tattoos" the registry so most changes are permanent and need to be explicitly undone

Can you be specific on how to get that achieved? Apply a GPO that states to place all the files back into their original location? how do I do that? \\%machine%\c$\documentsandsettings\%username%\myd ocuments

Is that what you mean?

I know that the GPO has an option to return the files back to their original location if the GPO isn't available anymore. Is this what you are referring to? If so isn't this very resource intensive especially when we're talking about 300+ machines?

Comment

bump...

Anyone?

Comment

Ahem...
                we prefer people not to bump their posts....

Basically yes - restore to original location (you should be able to use c:\docs etc rather than needing %computername%), then try again with the correct permissions....
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Sorry about the bumping. Thanks for the response. Sounds like weekend work. As School is starting and as these users have Gigs of data I think one of two things will happen, the network would slow to a crawl and/or the server nic would die!!! lol. I'll try it though seriously.

Comment

Working...
                  X