No announcement yet.

Win 2003 File Replication

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2003 File Replication

I have a small LAN with 2 DC's that have been working up to a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly I find that new group policies are not working and the FRS Event Log shows this:-

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from SERVA to SERVB for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name FRS will keep retrying.
    Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name [email protected] from this computer.
    [2] FRS is not running on
    [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

I've edited the server names.

The DNS Name can be resolved from SERVB.
    FRS is running on both servers.
    It's had 24 hours to replicate.

Examination of c:\Windows\Sysvol on SERVB shows a skeleton folder with the appropriate subfolders but there is no SYSVOL or NETLOGON share.

If I use regedit to set HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ntfrs\Backup/Restore/burflags to D2 to make a non authoritative restore on SERVB then I get these messages.

File Replication Service is initializing the system volume with data from another domain controller. Computer SERVB cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.

To check for the SYSVOL share, at the command prompt, type:
    net share

When File Replication Service completes the initialization process, the SYSVOL share will appear.

The initialization of the system volume can take some time. The time is dependent on the amount of data in the system volume, the availability of other domain controllers, and the replication interval between domain controllers.

The File Replication Service successfully added the connections shown below to the replica set:

The shares have not reappeared after several hours.
    I'm really not sure where to go from here?

Demote and re-promote SERVB?

Establish the SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares manually to point to the empty SYSVOL folder set?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Win 2003 File Replication

Can you give the actual event numbers please?
    (Makes searching for info MUCH easier )

Are the DCs in one site?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Win 2003 File Replication

From top to bottom, event id's are:-

1) 13058
      2) 13554
      3) 13565

The DC's are both on one site.