No announcement yet.

Windows Desktop Search 4.0 issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Desktop Search 4.0 issues

Hi All, just a quick query, does anyone know of a method for removing this annoying, resource killing Barst##d, we have taken over the it support for a company who was doing it all in house. They installed Windows Desktop Search 4.0 on server 2003 running as a terminal server in application mode. When logged on as the administrator there are no relevant entries to remove same in the add and remove programs in the control panel?? I have been told that since they installed this, I have seen it for myself, the server console goes black screen and locks up it is stilled powered on but there is no access, to fix the server must be forcibly powered off and restated. I would like a simple method for removing this beast for all user profiles in one hit if at all possible. Any thought or ideas please advise asap Many thanks in advance Casual

Re: Windows Desktop Search 4.0 issues

It should show up in add/remove make sure you have show updates checked, you can also stop indexing on any drive by right clicking the drive in explorer, and uncheck Allow indexing on the general tab, and chose apply recusively when prompted.

It appears it does NOT show up in Add/Remove programs (thank you VERY much, Microsoft ) but this link gives a process to remove it (OS not specified):
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Well, I'll be! Thanks for sharing Ossian!