No announcement yet.

Server Consolidation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Consolidation

Hi there,

I am new to the forums so please forgive me if this has been covered before but I could not see any posts that related to this question.

Basically I have just taken over as the IT manager and I am looking to consolidate the number of servers we are currently using. We have 7 servers for 60 users and that number is not going to rise any time soon. These servers do not seem to do anything other than hold users data. I think it is a bit of overkill and would like to see the number of servers come down to at least 4 but preferably 3.

However my main dilemma is that I am not sure on the most efficient way to go about this that ensures users suffer least disruption. I am also not sure on what services need to be running on the servers.

We are using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and won't be moving from this in the foreseeable future.

My predecessor has ordered an 8TB NAS to help with the back up of data, I am not really sure what these are as it is the first time I have come across them. Can they also be used to store data?

I am sorry if my question is a bit vague but I have had limited server experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Server Consolidation

It sounds like you are going to struggle if you are looking to consolidate roles and don't know about NAS.

I would honestly suggest getting a consultant in to assist you.

The answer to this question is just too big and realistically it is a consultative audit and recommendations report that you are needing.

This topic could go on and on.
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

well i would love to get a consultant in but since we are a government funded organisation with limited budget in the current climate then there isn't an awful lot more I can do than come onto here and ask for some advice. Whether that be some books to read or recommendations of some courses.

Originally posted by Foooysee View Post
        I -- would like to see the number of servers come down to at least 4 but preferably 3.
        You got some tough limits in the system setup. Pray tell me you are running Server 2003 as x86 (32-bit) version too?

If you do run 32-bit OS, forget about consolidation. That is because you can use only 4 GB of RAM, so running virtual servers (Virtual Server 2k5 R2, if Hyper-V is out) is no good. In addition, stuffing memory intensive apps like database and collaboration software into same 32-bit box is downright stupid.

What you need to do is to create a list of all the applications running on the servers, and properties of those servers too. After such a list is created, run some analysis (like Perfmon) to check the baseline memory/CPU/IO loads. This way you can identify the load the servers are handling. If all the systems are running on heavy load, it is no use of consolidating services.