No announcement yet.

Migrating from Windows 2003 to 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from Windows 2003 to 2008

Hi all

I am looking to possibly do a major network upgrade to my client site.

1 DL360 G5 on Windows 2003 R2 - DC, File, Print
    1 DL360 G5 on Windows 2003 R2 - Exchange 2003, SQL2000 (Sage MMS), Backup
    1 Dell something, Windows 2008 Standard - WSUS

All 32 bit

I would like to look at upgrading them to eventually be running Windows 2008 Standard 64 bit + SQL 2008, as the 3.5GB RAM limit is becoming somewhat of a nuisance.

We cannot afford ANY downtime longer than a few hours, ideally none at all.

What would be the best way to migrate them to the end goal?

As I understand it, each server will have to be wiped and reinstalled, becuase in-place 32-64 bit is not supported.

So would I need to get another server in place and installed witth 2008 64 bit, and migrate each server's roles/services to that so I can then reinstall the old server, then migrate roles/services back?

What I am looking for is a stage-by-stage recommended procedure. If I get stuck on any of those stages I can tackle them as and when.

Thank you.

Re: Migrating from Windows 2003 to 2008

You do not mention if the migration is to new hardware or back to the same hardware?
    You will need a fourth server, so that you can swing applications and services to that server so that you can swing them back to the rebuild server.

1. For the DC, all you need to do is run DCPromot.exe and allow it to replicate. Also move the GC and FSMO roles across. I would give it 48 hours to fully replicate before wiping the original.

2. For Exchange you need all roles (mailbox, owa etc) set up on a second server, then move mailboxes, public folders and system folders across before you can decomission the original (uninstall).

Exchange 2003 will NOT work on Windows 2008 x64, it will only work on a 32 bit OS, unless you upgrade to Exchange 2007!

3. SQL is more straight forward. Backup the database and logs. Install SQL on new server, restore database back and setup users and permissions agains and any SQL jobs.

4. WSUS can work just fine as it is.

Re: Migrating from Windows 2003 to 2008

Will be migrating back to the same hardware.

Procedure is more or less as I suspected - thank you.