Main Domain Controller failed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Domain Controller failed

Here due to Hardware Failure our PDC Server is failed, it has Windows 2003 R2 32Bit.
    Our Secondary Domain Controller is working fine its also a Windows 2003R2 32bit, now our faild server's Hardware has been replaced and it is fine.
    What steps i ahve to done to Bring My server as it is or If i Go with server 20082 on this Hardware what would be the steps.

Make sure the existing 2003 has the FSMO roles. I think your best bet is to install 2008 R2 but I'd check the hardware requirements to make sure the server that has been repaired can run it. You mention that the previous 2003 OS was 32 bit - 2008 R2 is a 64 bit OS. If OK, install 2008 R2, join it to the domain and then add the ADDS role. This is the same as running dcpromo on 2003. You will also need to run adprep32 from the 2008 installation media on the 2003 server before adding ADDS. This should give you enough info to properly research the finer details of the new installation.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your input.
      Existing 2003 Ha's some fsmo role.
      Please correct me in following steps which I am planning to do.
      1. Need to transfer all the fsmo roll on existing server.
      2. New installation of server 2008 r2 ( hardware is compatible for 64bit OS)
      3. Need to add this new installed server as a Additional domain controller.
      4.Need to seize fails DC name from Network.

A query I have here, direct going for 2012 operating system for ADC is ok ?
      And will 2003 and 2012 will work together as DC and ADC ?

Comment

You need to do a metadata clean-up on the existing 2003 server before making the 2008 a domain controller. Your Active Directory setup has got to be functioning properly before you introduce the 2008.

[Edit]
        2012 and 2003 will work fine together. Just keep your functional and domain level at 2003.

Comment

Hi Blood,
          Please suggest if any changes are required in following steps;
          1. Transfer All the rolls To Existing Server.
          2. Metadata clean up using link >>>> https://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad
          3. Windows 2008R2 or Windows Server 2012 Installation.
          Here, any steps i need to do on 2012 before adding it to as Additional Domain controller?
          4. Adding 2008 or 2012 as ADC.(As suggest you Functional and domain level must be 2003 of Server 2012 Server)

Comment

Yep - the information on that page will work. However, if you wish to use the same server name, you will need to do a metadata clean up and then you will also need to go through DNS and make sure no records exist that reference that name. If they do, delete them. Run dcdiag again. You have to make sure that Active Directory is healthy - this includes removing orphaned objects (failed domain controllers) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555846

Search

It is my experience that a metadata clean up is OK, but only as a first step - there are other entries that the metadata clean up misses and these are mentioned in the article I link to.

I advise you to do comprehensive research on this - especially as you wish to re-use the old domain controller name.

Comment

Why not just bring up the server 2003 and then schedule a DC upgrade?

IMHO get your system running, I presume the server parts were like for like, properly before you start to make changes to your AD infrastructure.

Comment

Sure, I will Restore Image form Older backup, then will plan for Upgrade.
                thanks Blood and wullieb1

In upgrade if i stuck on some step can I continue to this thread or to new One.

Comment

Continue this thread please so we don't need to ask for information already given

Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
                    Finally We have restored DC using Backup, Now I found So much Articles for adding a Windows 2012 Server Under Existing Windows 2003 Network.

During that reading I have gone through the Prerequisites ! and for That I checked the Domain Functional level must be 2003 (As same suggested By Blood) and Forest functional level too.
                    Currently our Domain Functional Level is Windows 200 Mixed and Forest Level is Windows 2000.

All the current Connected Clients are Either Windows XP SP3 or windows 2007 SP1; If I Raised the Domain Level first and the Forest level to Windows 2003 in Live Setup will this Impact or Create any Problem in Connectivity ?

Please Suggest.

Comment

You can raise the domain and forest functional levels without impacting your infrastructure. No reboot is required. The key is to keep your domain and forest functional levels the same as your earliest domain controller operating system. So, setting it to 2003 will be fine because your oldest domain controller's operating system is Windows Server 2003.

Remember, you can not put the levels back to an earlier functional level. For example, once you raise it to 2003, you cannot make a Windows 2000 server a domain controller because a Windows 2000 domain controller requires a functional level of 2000.

[edit]
                      http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/arc...nal-level.aspx
                      Last edited by Blood; 15th December 2015, 07:57.

Comment

Hi,
                        Thanks you so much !!!
                        We have finally setup our First Lates Operating System ADC ! after Server 2003

All its Working fine and Activity Done without any downtime, Replication Status Checked Using
                        https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/down....aspx?id=30005 Active Directory Replication Status Tool.
                        No Error Found.

Now The Last Restored PDC which is Windows Server 2003 has to be upgrade now, I want to keep the same name and IP of this server After installation of 2012 Server Operating System.

As I gathered Information I have to Check it has not holding Global Catalog and Operations Master role for Thsi I have to run Netdom command on Windows 2003 Server.
                        https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.10).aspx

Output of Command is below;

C:\>netdom query fsmo
                        Schema owner pdc.mydomain.com

Domain role owner pdc.mydomain.com

PDC role pdc.mydomain.com

RID pool manager pdc.mydomain.com

Infrastructure owner pdc.mydomain.com

The command completed successfully.

How to transfer Global Catalog on New 2012 Server and the Operation Master role ?

Comment

To make a 2012 DC a GC: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396
                          To transfer FSMO roles to 2012 (just transfer the role(s) you need): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx

Comment

Thank You Blood,
                            As Per First Link about Global Catalog Activity Done !
                            But, I stuck on the step which mentioned in Second Shared Link, dont know why but 2012 R2 DC Status showing Unavailable when changing directory server.

After Doing search on found this Link; https://social.technet.microsoft.com...rectory-server

Rather making changes in Registry i simply Enable IPv6 and status showing Online Second Step Also Done !

The Output of netdom now as Follows;

Schema owner pdc.mydomain.com

Domain role owner pdc.mydomain.com

PDC role adc2k12.mydomain.com

RID pool manager adc2k12.mydomain.com

Infrastructure owner adc2k12.mydomain.com

The command completed successfully.

Schema owner and Domain Role Owner is still Showing pdc Server, it takes time to Update ?

Steps Done on windows 2012 Server (adc2k12.mydomain.com)
                            Last edited by sunnys_111; 21st December 2015, 11:42. Reason: Last line Added...

Comment

I would recheck it using 'the common way' method shown here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mempson/a...smo-roles.aspx

If that does not show the FSMO's as you wish them to be, look again at transferring the affected roles.

Comment

Working...
                              X