Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enterprise: Changing Print Server Without Changing Default Printer

Hello fellow Petri's

All computers and users for this example are within the same OU tree. We are retiring the printer server. This is an enterprise environment. In your opinion, what is the best way to migrate users to the new print server without disrupting their default printer.

Overall every "section" of our building has their own default printer. However they are all in the same OU. They have a connection to all possible printers. So how would we migrate them / connect them to all the same printers on the new print server with the same printer name without having their current default printer changed.

Overall I am trying to avoid having to go to everyone's desk and spending 2 seconds to change the default printer to their correct one.

For example:
    \\oldserver\printer1

is now

\\newserver\printer1

Thx

Chase
    Last edited by homeshark; 9th August 2010, 02:47.

Re: Enterprise: Changing Print Server Without Changing Default Printer

You could probaly script this using something like VBS whereby you could delete all the exisitng connections create new ones then set the default printer.

Wouldn't think it would be that hard if everyone has the same default.

Comment

Everyone is in the same OU however different users have different default printers since geographically everyone is spread out. So using the same default printer would not work. Ideally I would like to take their printers and just simply replace the server that is hosting the printer.

Comment

In that case you would need to script something where it would grab the current default printer use that info then set the new default printer accordingly.

Comment

You could also have a look at this.

I haven't used it personally so can't vouch for it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc722360.aspx

Comment

A while ago i posted a script over here.
            Use the search functionallity.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X