Cannot join computer to domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot join computer to domain

Hi guys,

Hope someone out there can help me.

I am studying for the MCSA exam and am very new to this.

I have a domain controller (180-day trial, Enterprise edition, clean install).
    I am connecting a client workstation to the DC using a Linksys router/switch.

I have created a computer account and a user account on the AD in DC.
    In the computer account I created, I have specified the user account too.

I have also set up a simple DNS in domain controller.

There is physical connectivity (able to ping DC from client workstation).

The problem is this:
    when I try to join the client workstation to the domain, Windwos asks for logon credentials. When I specify the account name and password, it says there is an account with this name on the AD and asks if I would liek to join the domain. However, when I click on OK, an error message pops up saying something like you cannot join the domain, access is denied.

I am really desperate. I have been stuck at this point for more than a week. If anyone can advise or give me some pointers I would be grateful.

Re: Cannot join computer to domain

same old story
    you need to be logged on to the workstation as a local administrator in order to be able to join it to the domain.
    or, you need to give the account you are using to log on to the workstation permissions to join the machine to the domain.
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Thanks, Chris for your reply!

I found that I was using the login name and password of the local cleint machine. After readinng Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows Server 2003", I found that I have to use the name and password of the DC to log on to the domain.

Now it's working fine.

Absulotley, when u want to join a Domain you have to Login b the USERNAME and PASSWORD which you have created in the Active Directory Users and Computers.
        HND: Higher National Diploma in
        Computer Science(IT)

MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
        Done:VMware DSA