Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS and BIND

Hi,

We are about to migrate from Novell to W2003 AD. We have a BIND server running for name resolution. With AD we have to use DNS integrated. The Question is. What is the best way to do this?

Migrate all A en PTR records to the Windows DNS? (How?)
    Or make a link between the Old Bind server and the windows DNS? So when the Windows DNS can not find the record the server will go to BIND server to resolve the name? Can i do this with root-hints?

Tnx for help.

Re: DNS and BIND

> Migrate all A en PTR records to the Windows DNS? (How?)

If that is an option, then this is certainly the best way. When you create a zone on a Windows DNS you have the option to import the .dns file from BIND for each zone. So that's an easy way to migrate.

> Or make a link between the Old Bind server and the windows DNS? So when the Windows DNS can not find the record the server will go to BIND server to resolve the name?

Yes, that is also possible. Best thing is to delegate all AD Domains from BIND to the Windows DNS servers, and have the Windows DNS servers forward to BIND.

> Can i do this with root-hints?

Only if your DNS servers do not resolve internet addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by rover
      AD we have to use DNS integrated.
      You don't HAVE to use Win2k DNS with ADI, you could just use standard zones. You don't even have to use MS DNS, if you are running BIND 8.2.2 or later you can use this.

8.2.2+ Supports Dynamic updates and SRV records so there should be no issues using BIND for your DNS infrastructure.

topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

We are going to use the Win DNS for internet resolving. that means that adding my IP address from my BIND server in the list of root hints is not going to work? Should i ad it as a forwarder?

yes we have the latest version of BIND, it is doing the dynamic updates. It is running quit smooth. maby thats a option as well.

Comment

Basically how is should work is.

Clients point to your internal DNS server which handles your SRV records for AD.

This DNS server should then have a forwarder setup to your "external" DNS usually your ISP.

You seem to have a seperate server in there somewhere which just handles internet resolution so

Client > AD DNS Server > Internet DNS server > ISP's DNS server.

Do not add anything to the root servers, just setup forwarders.

topper
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

> 8.2.2+ Supports Dynamic updates and SRV records so there should be no issues using BIND for your DNS infrastructure.

One issue: no secure updates. Otherwise I agree completely.

Comment

Working...
            X