X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Server (DC) OS Partition Low on Disk Space

Hello Everyone,

Problem
    The OS partition on the primary DC is critically low on disk space and I need to increase it as soon as possible. Additionally, I can’t execute a proper NT backup.

Questions
    1. What do you recommend?
    2. Has anyone had any success using partitioning software to increase the size of a partition in a situation like this?
    3. What would be a good imaging tool to make an image of the server since I’m unable to do a proper NT backup?

Additional Information
    Dell PowerEdge 1600SC (RAID 5, Dell PERC 3/SC RAID Controller)
    Array 0: Virtual Disk 135GB, partitioned as follows:
    Partition, Drive Letter, Type, Size, Free Space
    Partition 1, C:, Basic Primary Partition, 5.81GB, 3.98MB
    Partition 2, D:, Basic Primary Partition, 4.00GB, 1.34GB
    Partition 3, E:, Basic Extd Partition , 101.61GB, 49.87GB

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Re: Windows 2000 Server (DC) OS Partition Low on Disk Space

Run Treesize to see what is consuming the space.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Move you pagefile, delete temp files, delete mem dumps.

What have you done to clear space???

Comment

You also appear to be missing c. 25 Gb (by comparing partition sizes with array size)

IMHO create another DC if needed, demote this one (carpe fsmo as necessary) and rebuild with decent sized partitions
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can remove or move the installed windows update uninstall folders from your windir folder.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Run Treesize to see what is consuming the space.
            5,398.4MB C:\
            ...4,212.7 MB WINNT
            ......2,638.0 MB Installer
            .........2,535.1 MB [Files]
            ............(.msp files mainly 16.5MB)

Move you pagefile, delete temp files, delete mem dumps.

What have you done to clear space???
            I moved the page file to the D: a few months back and I've already run the disk cleanup several times.

You also appear to be missing c. 25 Gb (by comparing partition sizes with array size)

IMHO create another DC if needed, demote this one (carpe fsmo as necessary) and rebuild with decent sized partitions
            There's some free space somewhere.

Creating another DC is the ultimate goal and this post was originally going to be a two part problem. 1. fix the low disk on the primary DC, 2. Cleanup domain to move towards a Windows 2008 domain.

With the primary DC low on disk space the event logs are full of errors and I'm sure you can imagine the state of the domain. Group policies aren't properly applied, I can't run a proper backup, I can't add new users etc.

You can remove or move the installed windows update uninstall folders from your windir folder.
            I moved most of these already. The remaining folders total 45 MB. Is it safe to move the .msp files in C:\WINNT\Installer folder?

Comment

From what i can see those files are MSPaint files.

Can't you back them up then delete them and see what they are?? You have enough disk space on another drive to do this.

Copy them to the e: then delete from the c: and reboot. Check for errors in your event logs and make sure your applications are running properly.

Comment

MSP is usually MSPatch files, updating applications (Since I presume you do not have any Members of the Scottish Parliament hiding inside your PC )

They should be safe to remove (or preferably move) as long as you dont try uninstalling things later
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Haha. Definitely no members of parliament in my server.

I believe they're installer files for Windows updates and security patches. I moved them over to another drive and managed to free up a lot of space.

So I have one problem down and a few more to go. But I'd still like some feedback on resizing the partition and/or imaging the server. Remember, it's a RAID5 setup.

Questions
                  1. What do you recommend?
                  2. Has anyone had any success using partitioning software to increase the size of a partition in a situation like this?
                  3. What would be a good imaging tool to make an image of the server since Iím unable to do a proper NT backup?

Comment

You will need to check if partition tools like Acronis (there are others) talk to your specific model of RAID controller. Even then there are risks...

What problem are you getting with NTBackup - it is normally very stable

Given the apparent age of your server, seriously consider a hardware replacement and swing migration
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X