Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Block Policy

Hi,

I wanted to block software installation on the domain, this is because msn, yahoo messenger is still working and even applied all policy on ISA but unable to block the messenger so finally i have decided to stop installation of Messenger softwares on each workstation or Network so please help me how can i stop installation messengers on the network/workstation

Regards,

Saeed

Re: Software Block Policy

If you want to block USE (but not INSTALLATION) of a particular piece of software, look at Software Restriction Policies (under Group Policy)

If you want to block installation of ALL software, look into restricted groups, removing users from local admin and power user groups

You should also have your HR department draw up some procedures with disciplinary action for (l)users who abuse the company network by using MSN etc.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is there any Network based software for this blockage of installation.

Saeed

Comment

Group Policies
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you are working in a school or college (I am guessing), there are lots of variations on Messenger. if you block one, the kids will find another.

If you are absolutely keen on blocking these "types" of software, look into blocking the HTTP header using ISA at the following location ;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925120

If you have ISA, which you have mentioned that you have, then give it a try in combination with the group policy blocking.

Ste
          Steven Roberts
          IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

ISA can block MSN traffic?
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925120
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

can i block downloading file throught server 2008 group policy

regards
              Anuj

Comment

Can you give a bit more details about what you are trying to do?

You can use file screens to prevent users working with certain file types
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X