Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable DHCP on SBS 2003

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows SBS 2003 and am aware of its looming end of support life in July 2015.

Due to lack of funds to migrate it to SBS 2012 Essential and also given the fact that we're a small business with only 7 users and 7 PCs to manage, I've decided to do away with Microsoft server slowly one step at a time.

I have a Synology DS412+ NAS that currently serves as a file server. All the shared folders and files have been migrated from the SBS 2003 to the NAS. Files Permissions and Security have also been in place.

The next thing to do is to make my DS412+ NAS a DHCP server.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help show or point me to the right direction as how to disable DHCP server on SBS 2003.

Thank you very much

SBS won't like it, but all you need to do is to either delete the DHCP{ scope or set the DHCP server service to Disabled

Having said that, why not stop internet access from the server (to reduce risk) and leave it running - EoL does not mean they will all stop working
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you Ossian for your reply.

That's a really good thinking.

Sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner as I just got a chance to play with the server today. If I block the internet access to the SBS server via my router, all my LAN PCs are affected too. In other words, all the devices on the local network rely on SBS for DHCP and Internet Access. Have I mistakenly configured my server all these time?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

No - SBS allows 2 internet cards and acts as a router (tbh I forgot that "feature" in sbs 2003). Or I forgot SBS will be the DNS server...
        An option would be to make sure clients are able to access the internet directly and change the DHCP scope to provide the router IP for DNS
        SImpler option would be to revert to previous setup and make sure you do not use the SBS for internet access - no particular reason to do so - and disable web sites on the SBS
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How long before SBS 2003 starts complaining about not being the DHCP Server? I am sure Steven said it was a required service or SBS got upset and stopped being friendly.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It'll write an event to the event log and it may show an error or warning in the SBS console (if my memory serves), but other than that there shouldn't be any ill effects. I've had to disable DHCP on SBS 2003 in a few instances.

Comment

IIRC the checks got a lot more stringent in 2008/11 than they were in 2003. I've had to do complete network reconfigs prior to migrating from 2003 because of IP ranges that weren't private /24 ranges for example. 2008 and 2011 won't let you run the connect to the internet wizard if it isn't the DHCP server.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X