Admin password troubles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin password troubles

Fresh install Server 2003 Standard R2, SP2 and patched up from windows update. This machine is going into a DMZ so is not joined to any domain. The user accounts are therefore still local.

On boot we can log in using 'administrator' and the password.

Once the screensaver kicks in and we try to unlock the machine we get incorrect password message despite it being the same password we logged on with in the first place.

We've tried different keyboards in case we have a faulty one but this has made no difference.

On another note, remote desktop is enabled for the administrator but this fails also with bad user / password message.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Re: Admin password troubles

Presumably you've rebooted the server and been able to log back in?

Can you access any shares on the server as Administrator while locked out?

Anything in the event logs once you're back in?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply!

So quick update....
      We're under a lot of pressure to get this into production so as an attempt to 'quick fix' we've burnt it down and started from scratch so we now have fresh install but with no service packs installed and the problem remains!

To answer your questions...

Once we reboot we can log back in using the administrator user and password.

Once we're locked out we cannot access any shares using the administrator account.

Nothing in the event log apart from the machine complaining about an unexpected shutdown.

We have created another admin account called 'test' when the administrator is locked out the test account can unlock it.

Using the test account we can access shares when the administrator account is locked out.

We're banging our heads against a brick wall now!

Comment

What is installed on the server other than the OS?

HAve you installed the server using the Windows Server CD or did you use a customised image?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We have nothing on the server except the OS. We've installed from an MS OEM CD.

Comment

OK so we're fixed now!

The original administrator password had a # in it. We've changed the password to one without a # and this now works fine!

EDIT: Just a heads up if anyone else gets this problem.
            Installing SP2 has broken it again. It looks like the initial login screen uses UK keyboard layout but unlock and change password screens reverts to US keyboard layout for some reason despite there only being one locale set (UK) on the machine.
            Good work Microsoft!
            Last edited by MrQwerty; 30th July 2010, 13:04.

Comment

Also suggest if it is going to be a DMZ that you CHANGE the Administrator username to something that is less obvious to mount an attack against. I used to have an FTP Server and for amusement I used to look through the logs looking at all the attempts at hacking the Administrator account that didn't exist.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X