DC has crashed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC has crashed

My domain comtroller has crashed and I do not have a backup DC. On my netwok I have a exchange server aswell, I would like to recover the mailboxes before I reinstall DC on an other server and reinstall the exchange server. But how?

Re: DC has crashed

I hope you have backups?
    Rebuild the DC and restore from the most recent one.

If you don't for disaster restores of exchange and AD -- it can be done but its messy.

If you are short on time and have a reasonable budget, have a look at Powercontrols (www.ontrack.com) which will extract data from the mdb and stm files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dosen't there exist a freeware tools to extract the mail boxes from my exchange server?

Comment

You get what you pay for. Exchange isn't the simplest thing to be playing with. Considering the potential cost of losing the company's email data, a licence for PowerControls is actually pretty cheap.

Can we assume then that you don't take backups of your DCs, so can't recover it?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well, there is exmerge, which I suppose qualifies as freeware, but you do need a working Exchange installation to use it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As long as you have the edb and stm files there is always something you can do for free.

Do you have these?

Ste
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post
              As long as you have the edb and stm files there is always something you can do for free.

Do you have these?

Ste
              I'm not aware of any free software that can extract the email out of an orphaned Exchange database. Care to enlighten us?

Comment

I reckon if you recreate the domain as best you can using the same names then follow my instructions from a previous post, with a bit of hard work you could recover mail from the edb and stm files. Do you not think this would work?

Let me know your thoughts.

Useful bits taken from kb/555603

Restore the database
                Create a database with the same name as Server1 (old serer) on Server2 (new server)
                Make a note of the location of .EDB and .STM files in that new database, in the Database Tab
                After, you create, restore offline or online backup (these being the edb and stm files) in Server2 in the same location as step 2
                Right-click on new database and click Properties, in Database mark This database can overwritten by a restore
                Mount the new database
                Now, you are able to see all mailboxes in Exchange System Manager but they appear as disconnected.

Modify Exchange User attributes localized at Server1
                Download and install ADModify. To do this, visit the following web site:
                http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/ADModify
                Run ADModify
                On the startup screen, click Modify Existing User Attributes
                Select you domain in the Domain List
                Select a domain controller, in the Domain Controller List
                In the Domain Tree List, expand you structure and select users of the Server1 MailboxStore and then click Add to List
                In the new windows. Click the Exchange General tab.
                Click to select Change homeMTA attribute to folowwing (type null to clear) check box and change for a value from the Server2
                Click to select Change HomeMDB attribute to following (type null to clear) check box and change for a value from the server2
                Click the E-mail Address Continued Tab.
                Click to select Set msExchHomeServerName and change Org Name for the name of your Organization, on AG Name for the name of Administrative Group (example: First Administrative Group) and Server Name the name of the new server that hold mailboxstore (in this case Server2)
                Additional step: In the E-mail address Continued Tab, in the X.500 Adress formwrite you X.500 address (example: o=<Organization>/ou=<First Administrative Group>/cn=Recipients
                Click Change > and after the changes, ADModify will show a small resume of all attributes with all modifications, already values and errors found

Modify the Microsoft Outlook Client
                It's a optional step, you can change the name of the server manually in each client to access Server1 (crashed server), but if you want to make it in a centralized way, you can do the steps bellow.
                To create a script to change the server name in Microsoft Outlook Clients you need to use the Exchange Profile Update Tool (exprofre.exe) utility. It can be found in this web site: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873214, and follow this steps on a test machine with profile configured to a Server1 (old exchange server):
                1. Download the Exchange Profile Update Tool
                2. Run and extract to a temporary directory (example: c:\temp)
                3. Click Start, Run, type cmd and click OK
                4. Type cd \temp
                5. Type exprofre.exe /targetdc=<Global-Catalog-Server> /s /v /logfile=c:\temp\exprofre.log and press Enter
                6. In the window will appear the result of operation, if you had success, now you can open normally Microsoft Outlook Client

Also looking around the Internet, as long as your new Exchange organization name remains the same, you can follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296788 to get things up and running.

Ste
                Last edited by Ste; 29th July 2010, 14:52.
                Steven Roberts
                IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Working...
                X