Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RDP not working after reboot until Print spooler service is manually restarted.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP not working after reboot until Print spooler service is manually restarted.

Hello,

I am having a bizarre issue, when my server reboots we are not able to RDP to it. You get the standard message as if the server is down, am able to VNC to it though. All the necessary services are running. I find the only way to be able to RDP to it is when I restart the print spooler service which started automatically anyway. I can see how print spooler is related to RDP as the RPC service is dependent on it and terminal services service is dependent on RPC service. But they all appear to have started when the server boots up. The last thing I did printer related was install a driver 2 days before it started happening but I have removed it and still have the issue.

I am running a W2K3 x86 server.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Considering Server 2003 is End of Life in July, is it worth spending time trying to fix this or would the time be better spent on upgrading to a supported Server O/S?

As to your immediate problem, please post the error id etc from the Event Viewer. Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes upgrade is in the works and will not be done for another couple of months as it is a critical server with an ancient database engine which will take quite a bit of work migrating. It's just now a user has to run a script I created to restart the print spooler as scheduled tasks don't even work until the spooler service is manually restarted. The spooler service holds everything up until it is restarted. There are no errors in event ID.

"The error i was referring to is not really an error just the message you get from windows saying "Remote Desktop Can't connect to the remote computer for some of these reasons:

remote access to the server is not enabled etc etc"

Comment

Sorry dr1, don't have much time for a hard look but the links below should get you started. Very surprised there is nothing in the Event Viewer about this.

print spooler stops after reboot

print spooler service stopping after restart server 2003
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Can you try either delaying the start of the service, or automating a script that restarts the service?
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X