Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 64 bit Activation Problem

Hi,

I have problem to activate my MS windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition 64bit.I have installed MS windows 2003 R2 Standard edition 64 bit with service pack 2 & I installed microsoft exchange 2007 in my server. Also I configured all mailing list & other process. Finally when I want to activate the windows & the exchange server, I entered my VLK. The exchange was accepted the product key. But my OS windows is not accepting.

For this issue I have contacted to MicroSoft, they said, the version I installed was retail & the product key is Volume License Key (VLK), I can't enter the VLK in the retail version. Unfortunately I can't reinstall the server also. Because the server is already gone to live environment & working perfectly without any issues except this activation.

Can anyone help me to solve this issue please? My activation countdown days are already started!

Re: Windows Server 2003 64 bit Activation Problem

Can you reinstall the VLK edition over the retail one? If you do it as an upgrade you shouldnt lose anything (but backup first)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your immediate response. In this server MS exchange 2007, Groupshield are already running. If I reinstall, is there any negative point or problem? Do I have to reconfigure? please advise.

Comment

In theory an upgrade does not affect installed applications but with Exchange etc I would be more than slightly worried.

Your best solution may be to buy a retail license key (if you can since its 2003)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree - your only real option now is to buy a licence key.

And maybe in future, finish setting up your server before putting it into production use
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Look at option 2 on the following link. This goes over the reinstall process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912309

Ste
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Dear All,

Thanks for your responses. I'll buy the retail product key.

Definetly, I learned it from my mistake itself , complete the full settings and requirements, before moving it live environment.

Is the retail & OEM both are same? or different?

Comment

OEM and Retail are different.
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks. Will buy the retail from the local market. . May God Bless You All.

Comment

Originally posted by szakhus View Post
                    Thanks. Will buy the retail from the local market. . May God Bless You All.
                    Some "local market" you have -- my one stops at fruit and veg!

I do hope this is a legal, legitimate copy or MS may catch you out
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Ha.. Ha.. Yes.... Local market means, I was talking about legal only. I dont like other methods. Thanks.

Comment

Wherever you buy it from, always retain proof of postage. That way, should it turn out to be dodgy, you've shown that you did what you could be reasonably expected to do to obtain a legitimate copy.

Naturally, if you buy from a reputable, well established dealer, then you shouldn't have to worry too much anyway.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Good Day. Yes.. I remember all the advises. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X