Replacing a dead server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a dead server 2003

I have a migrated server (from 2000 to 2003) that has some issues. I don't have another server, but want to replace the drives in the existing server (larger drives) and replace the DC. I'm trying to find a way to just replace the domain controller/ domain without changing the attached PCs.

I've done a freash build of 2003 and installed the DNS, DC, etc.
    I name the DC the same as the old DC in hopes of a seamless transfer. I can log into a few computers, through the domain, and I can see a few folder on the server, but the users don't show up on the AD.

I really don't want to rejoin all the computers. I have timberline on the server (management/Financial package) and may need to revert back to the old drives to test. There is no possibility of changing servers/or getting a second.
    What is a good/best way to replace this server? Is it even possible?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Replacing a dead server 2003

a follow-up. I manually added another computer to the AD and user and the computer connects/logs-in and views files fine. I used all the same name.
    what else should I check. It seems to support the security and rights.
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Comment

Re: Replacing a dead server 2003

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
      I name the DC the same as the old DC in hopes of a seamless transfer.
      You cannot do it this way. The PCs are probably logging in to the old domain using cached credentials, they are not logging in properly to the new domain that you built. Any new server (that phrase includes new Hard Drives (HDDs) with a fresh operating system installation that you put into an existing box) would need to have present in its Active Directory database, all the user & computer accounts, with associated GUIDs (Globally Unique IDs).

You would need to put the old HDDs back, so the old domain exists, then add (by using DCPromo on a new Server box) a new DC to the domain so that Active Directory replicates from the old DC to the new one and then transfer all the FSMO roles (see the Petri website for how to transfer FSMO roles) to the new server. Then you could get rid of the old server by running DCPromo to demote it properly (i.e. remove it cleanly from the domain).

If you don't have another server, make a virtual machine using VMWare or Virtual PC.

Does that help to give you a start? It's not a comprehensive set of instructions but tries to point you in the right direction. If you need clarifying on anything, please post back and ask.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
      X