Cant ping W2k3 server ISS problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant ping W2k3 server ISS problem

I have a server running Windows 2003 Sp1 X64. This server is an applicaiton server. My first problem is that I can not ping the server name but i can ping the IP address. My second problem is that I am traying to access this server from an IIS server sitting outside of my firewall and I am getting an HTTP 500 error message. Has anyone encountered this problem? Thanks in advanced.

Re: Cant ping W2k3 server ISS problem

Is it static IP or Dynamic?
    Is it in a domain?

Run IPCONFIG/REGISTERDNS on it, wait 15 mins and see if the name resolves OK

We need more information about your infrastructure -- how is the IIS server accessing the application server (and how are you accessing the IIS server)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. It is a static IP in a domain. I did some more digging around and found what seems to be a conflict in either the DCHP or DNS; At the command prompt I typed ping -a and the server ip address, the reply showed the wrong server name (not the server hostname I was expecting). Then I typed ping -a and the server name and it replied with a 192.168.7.108, which obviously is not my server's ip address, so I need to do some reserach on the DHCP and DNS entries. As far as the IIS, I setup an entry to my application using the server name and it is using a logon account (read rights only) created on the server hosting the application. The IIS server is looking for s specific shared folder.

Comment

So where does the HTTP 500 come into it?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by TTomy View Post
          I have a server running Windows 2003 Sp1 X64. This server is an applicaiton server. My first problem is that I can not ping the server name but i can ping the IP address. My second problem is that I am traying to access this server from an IIS server sitting outside of my firewall and I am getting an HTTP 500 error message. Has anyone encountered this problem? Thanks in advanced.
          This looks like a DNS issue. A computer outside of your firewall is going to need access to a DNS server that has that computer name AND ip address contained in it's record.

If you own the DNS server, you can add the system yourself OR you will have to contact the owner or a Domain Registrar to register the computer name and IP address.

Comment

Also have a look at your hosts file.

Comment

Working...
            X