DNS problems :D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS problems :D

Hi all, heres my situation. I'm using Windows Server 2003 Standard. I have 2 websites running in IIS and Im running AD/DNS. This is all on one server, it is the PDC etc. Heres an example of how it is setup:

Server: mom (192.168.0.200)
    AD: mom1.com
    FQDN: mom.mom1.com

Okay so I have 2 sites as follows:

www.siteone.com
    www.sitetwo.com

I want to setup email for site1.com and site2.com using Mailenable and host that email on the same server to the clients. In other words, I will have seperate mailboxes and host email for users at siteone.com and users at sitetwo.com. Okay onto the problem:

I know I need to setup an MX record and a PTR record in order for this to work, and I'm staring at the dnsmgmt window wondering what to do. Do I create a new Forward Lookup Zone and call it www.siteone.com and add an MX Record into that and then a 2nd zone for sitetwo.com? OR do I just create ONE MX record for mom1.com? and then for the Reverse Lookup Zone is there anything special I'm going to need to do there besides just make a zone?

Any help will be VERY appreciated!

Thank you,
    Tyler

Re: DNS problems

ask you're ISP to setup an MX record for siteone en sitetwo to you're external IP.

kewl, those site's really exist
    www.siteone.com
    www.sitetwo.com
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Lol thats funny...

but anyways...so I dont have to setup any DNS records even though were hosting our own Mail/Web Server on site? I just tell my router to port forward to the server address and install mailenable and our ISP takes care of all the records? (when I call them)

Comment

usually Yes, thats right.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Scott
          Hi all, heres my situation. I'm using Windows Server 2003 Standard. I have 2 websites running in IIS and Im running AD/DNS. This is all on one server, it is the PDC etc. Heres an example of how it is setup:

Server: mom (192.168.0.200)
          AD: mom1.com
          FQDN: mom.mom1.com

Okay so I have 2 sites as follows:

www.siteone.com
          www.sitetwo.com

I want to setup email for site1.com and site2.com using Mailenable and host that email on the same server to the clients. In other words, I will have seperate mailboxes and host email for users at siteone.com and users at sitetwo.com. Okay onto the problem:

I know I need to setup an MX record and a PTR record in order for this to work, and I'm staring at the dnsmgmt window wondering what to do. Do I create a new Forward Lookup Zone and call it www.siteone.com and add an MX Record into that and then a 2nd zone for sitetwo.com? OR do I just create ONE MX record for mom1.com? and then for the Reverse Lookup Zone is there anything special I'm going to need to do there besides just make a zone?

Any help will be VERY appreciated!

Thank you,
          Tyler
          Hi,
          U can create the MX Records for the sites at the ISP's Dns Server.
          Cheers,
          Spidey

Comment

Working...
          X