RRAS won't start, VPN down, Winsock won't initialize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRAS won't start, VPN down, Winsock won't initialize

This is 2003 R2 server that has lost all connectivity for some reason. I'm not sure where to start looking. Nothing new was added.

This server runs our VPN and has 2 network cards. One static, one dymanic. The dymanic card cannot get an address from our DHCP server.

If I try an ipconfig /renew, I receive “error occurred… RPC server unavailable.

When I open Routing and Remote Access I get the message “an error occurred while trying to make a connection to the datastore”.

I ran netsh winsock /? From a command prompt and received the following errors:
    IPMONTR.dll failed to start error 10107
    Also,
    The following helper dll cannot be loaded: DHCPMON.dll
    The following helper dll cannot be loaded: WINSMON.dll

Basically I have no network connection either inside or outside the company.

I'm tempted to uninstall the VPN and TCP/IP networking and re-install, but we also have Blackberry Enterprise on this server, and that would probably break the connectivity to the Exchange server. I would just like to get a network connection. I'm not sure what I'm missing here and not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: RRAS won't start, VPN down, Winsock won't initialize

Solved the problem.

netsh winsock reset

All works

Comment

Thanks for posting your results. I would suggest though that the network card facing the LAN should have a static IP address, rather than using DHCP as it does now. The WAN interface would either have a static address or a dynamic address depending on your ISP's requirements.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for the input. I too believe that all server network cards should have static IPs.

I am new to this company and still trying to figure how everything works here. It is not good. My quick fix yesterday worked, but I would sure like to know what caused the problem in the first place. If you or anyone has a good troubleshooting guide for connection problems like this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X