Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows XP Pro. Lost USB printer and can't recreate...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro. Lost USB printer and can't recreate...

One of my users called me yesterday and had lost his USB attached printer. Gone from Printers and Faxes window. I removed the driver and tried to reinstall. Could never get printer to reinstall. Windows makes the chime when I plug and unplug the printer but no auto detect to install. I tried to manually install the driver and the driver could not find a USB port. Also tried to install another (read different) printer and its driver says the "specified USB port is unknown". A USB attached smart card reader works fine. I was able to install a network printer so the user can get his printing done but I need to solve the problem of the locally attached printer. After I installed the network printer I checked its port properties to see if a USB port was available or if I could create one. There are several ports to choose from but no USB. Also the add, delete, and configure buttons are greyed out so nothing can be changed or added.

Thanks for any help...

Have you tried installing the printer (make/model?) onto another system. Maybe the printer's USB end has a problem.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes I tried that printer on another system and another printer on this system. I finally fixed the problem by going back to a restore point 8 days ago and the printer was back and working. Good old Microsoft. WWWHHAAAAAT did I just say????

Thanks...

John...

Comment

Re: Windows XP Pro. Lost USB printer and can't recreate...

hi - appart from return 8 days back - what else have u done or can be done here? i have the same problem.

Comment

Re: Windows XP Pro. Lost USB printer and can't recreate...

Originally posted by amostalmor View Post
          hi - appart from return 8 days back - what else have u done or can be done here? i have the same problem.
          You have posted your problem, quite correctly, under a new thread. Please do NOT use this thread for your problem and please NO answers as well.

Also, note the date of this thread.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X