Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange VPN Issue

First post so hello everyone,

I've been setting up a VPN for a remote worker to use a web based CRM product, got it all working then disconnected/re-connected just to test it and I was no longer able to access the webpage, I could ping the domain controller but not the applications server. Deleted connection and set up again, forced to PPTP and all worked fine again. Dropped VPN several times and all working, called user to go through using the connection and web page wouldn't load again. Dropped connection and reconnected all working fine again. Any ideas as to whats going on here?

Thanks

Mick

Re: Strange VPN Issue

Well, I understand Win95 had problems talking to Server 2000 over a VPN
    Should you be using different operating systems, a clue would help....

Is the VPN router to router, client to router (and which software) or client to RRAS?
    What is the bandwidth at both ends?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry...

Client is Vista, server is 2003 Standard.

VPN at office end terminates on the server which is visible at all times even when web page is un-available.

Bandwidth isn't an issue, I can browse the VPN server at all times using explorer.

Comment

Have you checked your event logs and IIS logs (assuming you are using IIS for the app)?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The VPN client can't even ping the app server so I doubt there will be any help in there.

Comment

Can you explain the configuration clearly -- how many servers and what roles do they hold?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

also post an ipconfig /all and a route print from the client and server.
              Is the VPN server a RRAS server or an ISA server or maybe an Router or an other firewall device?
              Are you trying to ping the server by it's NETbios name, FQDN or IP address?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X