Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Software deployment - Missing Icons

Hi Folk

I'm having a little problem trying to deploy Adobe Reader 9.3 with Group Policy Software deployment. I am trying to deploy Adobe so that the user has the Adobe icon on their desktop or so that when they open a PDF the software installs. I have almost 200 users.

Under User Configuration -> Software settings -> Software installation I select New -> Package.

The AcroRead.msi is on a network share that 'Everyone' has read access to, the source path is: \\servername\Adobe\AcroRead.msi

Deployment Type is: Assigned (because I want it to install when double clicked or if the user opens a pdf)

I have not selected a transforms file although I intend to use one once I have this deployment working.

I then link the GPO to an OU where my test user resides.

And that is it! Except when I log my test user in, there is a message indicating that software deployment is happening but when the desktop arrears there is no Adobe icon on the desktop or the start menu. If I go into Add/Remove programs however I can see it listed as an application that can be uninstalled.

I have been on this for two days and am struggling to see where I could have made a mistake.

Please can someone advise me?

Regards
    Philip

Re: GPO Software deployment - Missing Icons

what happens if you then double-click on a PDF file?

have you assigned to a user, or a computer?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi

This is an assignment to 'User' as indicated. If I double click on a PDF the Windows invites me to Search the web or choose a program from a list. It's pointless to search the web as this is a managed deployment from a central server, if I choose from a list then Adode Reader is not present.

Hope you can help.

Philip

Comment

Have you tested with a local administrator logon? Does the software package run as an administrator?

If you manually install the software package when logged on as a local administrator, does it then successfully install?

Is there an existing version of Adobe installed? Is Adobe Acrobat installed?

Comment

Have you tested with a local administrator logon? Does the software package run as an administrator?

If I understand correctly then this can only install if logged on with a Domain account Ö because we are trying to get Group Policy Software Deployment to install the application. Yes the software can run as an administrator and as it happens the domain account I am using does have Domain Admin rights.

If you manually install the software package when logged on as a local administrator, does it then successfully install?

Yes it does.

Is there an existing version of Adobe installed? Is Adobe Acrobat installed?

Acrobat is not installed in this instance and neither is any other version of Adobe Reader. When / If this is resolved then I will be using this to upgrade previous versions of Adobe products, for now though itís all being kept very simple.

Hoping someone can offer some useful advice.

Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philhilluk
            I will be using this to upgrade previous versions of Adobe products
            What other Adobe products are you refering to? There are different methods depending on the product or suite that may be different to what you are trying to do with the Reader.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm only going to concentrate my efforts on deploying Adobe Reader 9.3 for now. This is the main product I need to deploy any others are so few in number that they can be done manually if necessary.

Can you or anyone help with this problem that I'm having with deploying Adobe Reader using Group Policy?

I'm afraid I've not got much better than 20 questions from the good Folk at Technet either, it's so strange as it seems like it should be such a simple process.

Thanks in advance

Philip

Comment

Since Acrobat Reader is something that you would usually want on every machine, can I suggest assigning it to machines rather to users - that way the software will be installed after the next reboot and "just works" when the user next logs in.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Assignment does indeed work, but my particular issue is assigning it to just about 200 desktops who will log on together one morning and receive the install.

I fear that this will be a great burden on the network and indeed on their log on times. If I can get assignment by user rather than computer then the application in installed on 1st execution rather than log on.

Hope someone can still help with this.

Philip

Comment

Working...
                  X