Data move

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data move

I have a server with user data. This data has many different permissions which needs to be kept. The drive this data is on is filling up and needs moving to a new HDD on the same server.

The drive is installed and partitioned ready for use.

I have read that I should use "Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2" to move the data. From what I read though this is used to move data server to server rather than HDD to HDD.

Does anyone know if I still need to use "Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2" to move this data?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Data move

Check out Robocopy which, IIRC, has a switch to retain permissions
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I looked at robocopy but it doesn't look like it copies share names/permissions.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

There is a little utility to copy shares
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174273
        http://www.petri.com/save_share_sett...ermissions.htm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

from robocopy /? | more
          Originally posted by robocopy /?
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Tue Jul 13 11:44:20 2010

Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination [file [file]...] [options]

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
          destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
          file :: File(s) to copy (names/wildcards: default is "*.*").

::
          :: Copy options :
          ::
          /S :: copy Subdirectories, but not empty ones.
          /E :: copy subdirectories, including Empty ones.
          so you start with robocopy D:\data E:\data /S /E
          then add
          /SEC :: copy files with SECurity (equivalent to /COPY: DATS). [Moderator edit. There is NO space between the colon : and the D )
          which will copy the permissions

then add
          /MOVE :: MOVE files AND dirs (delete from source after copying).
          If you want to move it all and delete it as it occurs.

Seems like you didn't look at robocopy properly.
          Last edited by biggles77; 16th July 2010, 13:29. Reason: Fix smilie problem with the :D combination.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

YEs, but IIRC RoboCopy does not handle SHARES and share permissions, just NTFS
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

One more little thing I learned the hard way regarding file servers:
              If you need owner info copied, use "/copy:datso" parameter.
              Sometimes the quota is limited by ownership of files and skipping the parameter will effectively reset the quota usage to 0% for everyone - administrators take place instead of actual users.
              As for the shares:
              http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/2...s-2003-domain/
              You can use the registry export method. Just make sure you use text editor before importing the reg file to correct the paths to new paths on your new file server.

Regards,
              Leonid
              Regards,
              Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                YEs, but IIRC RoboCopy does not handle SHARES and share permissions, just NTFS
                yes, that's true

but dependent on how many shares you have....
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X