Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user permissions to copy files from server to server

Hi,

I need to give user permissions for the wwwroot folders in 3 diferent servers on a network (workgroup not domain).
    I need my developers to copy files from and to each of the 3 servers while they are logged in via RDP.
    They have the same username and password on each server, their user is NOT member of the Administrators group.
    I also gave the user Modify permissions for the wwwroot folder on each server.

still, they have no access from one server to another to the specific folders to copy the files.

Should I add Sharing with Modify permissions ? won't it hurt the Security of the server and website to add Sharing permissions to its folder ?

Is there anything else I can do ?

Thanks,
    Michael

Re: user permissions to copy files from server to server

If you do not set sharing permissions, users will not be able to access the folder from a different computer.
    Default Share Permission is "Everyone - Read" so you will need to give "Change" permission to allow files to be uploaded
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks,

Does sharing permission open a security issue ?

Comment

alright.. there are two things here.

Firstly, is share permissions as pointed out by Ossian. At the very least, they need modify access.

The next level is file system permissions. You nede to make sure the relevant users have access to write to the file system.

Since you're not in a domain, you also need to make sure that each username exists on each server, with the exact same passwords and permissions.

Allowing modify access to a share does of course open a security hole - it creates a scenario where a user who may not otherwise have local access could upload a file to a server, and then socially engineer it to be run, thus compromising the server.
        There's allllllways security aspects
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by askms View Post
          Thanks,

Does sharing permission open a security issue ?
          Yes - they allow remote access to files on your server.

No sharing, no remote access.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X