Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new Windows flaw that could compromise the security of machines running older version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Windows flaw that could compromise the security of machines running older version

Hi all,

How to prevent this from happening before Microsoft introduce the patch? Beside having firewall/NAV installed on systems? Any other ways to prevent? Kindly advise if any. Thanks.

Re: new Windows flaw that could compromise the security of machines running older ver

A new record for lack of infomation? The more you give us, the more we can give you.

What windows flaw, ones that have not been found yet, or ones that have just been found and not patched?

With ones that are just released, keeping a eye on the MS page for the product, as well as Technet and message forums is the best way to keep up to date.

About holes that have not been made public, well thats basic computer secruity and we could all write a book on it (and meny have done so) before we could explane it all.

But here are some tips.
    A) RUN BPAs!!!!!!!!!
    B) Have a good firewall, and a on access AV. Run 3rd party antimaleware on every week or so.
    C) Close any port you are not using, disable any software you do not use, disable user accounts that you do not use.
    D) Make sure no one uses the default admin for anything.
    E) RUN BPA's!!!!!

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Re: new Windows flaw that could compromise the security of machines running older ver

hi Wofen,

Its not yet been found but i read up on zdnet & realize about it. What is BPAs?
      Alrite i think its about time i clean up the disabled account. Got FW & Spambayes running & NAV running so that shld be ok.. Thanks for ur guide. Just need to find out what is BPAs?

Comment

I think he means this one:
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10473495.stm

Patch Tuesday is next week, so probably pray to a deity of your choice until then and get updated

BPAs are "Best Practice Analysers"
        Is this a domain, if so disable remote access and remote assistance through GPOs -- it wont absolutely stop things but may help
        NAV -- I hope you mean the corporate version, as the home version is, IMHO, worse than a virus
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ossian,

Correct.

Ya lets hope that next tue the patch will be out.

Yes, its a domain - luckily Remote Access is NOT enable on my side. Yes NAV Corporate Edition.

Alrite I think that is about it. Nothing much we can do as for now.

Thanks.

Comment

With that flaw, just disable the help and support service.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X