X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing Folder & Writing to it

Ok Here is my set up.

Server running Windows 2003

They would not like to use roaming profiles with everyone keeping their settings from computer to computer.

They want user names and passwords for everyone--I did that.

Now we want to create a folder on the server to serve as a "Common Folder" that everyone can open. Now in that common folder they want to each have a folder with their staff names on it. Those folders inside the "Common Folder" then are were the staff will save files.

My problem is saving to the staff folders. I am trying to set it up so no staff member can open another persons folder using the permisions but I am having trouble. What permissions should I have and what should they be set at?

I thought I had it but everytime I would go to save it would say access denied. Sometimes it acts like it is saving but then just hangs forever and nothing happens.

Hopefully someone can stear me in the right direction.

Re: Sharing Folder & Writing to it

Originally posted by dsowells View Post
    Ok Here is my set up.

Server running Windows 2003

They would not like to use roaming profiles with everyone keeping their settings from computer to computer.

They want user names and passwords for everyone--I did that.

Now we want to create a folder on the server to serve as a "Common Folder" that everyone can open. Now in that common folder they want to each have a folder with their staff names on it. Those folders inside the "Common Folder" then are were the staff will save files.

My problem is saving to the staff folders. I am trying to set it up so no staff member can open another persons folder using the permisions but I am having trouble. What permissions should I have and what should they be set at?

I thought I had it but everytime I would go to save it would say access denied. Sometimes it acts like it is saving but then just hangs forever and nothing happens.

Hopefully someone can stear me in the right direction.
    If you're configuring roaming profiles the folders should be created automatically by the process and the user given access and persmission to the folder without you doing anything. So a user should be able to read/write in their own user specific folder. Are you having trouble writing to the common or user folder?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316353
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298403

How did you setup the profile folders?
    Last edited by ahinson; 6th July 2010, 22:30.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Are you using Active Directory? If so, just set the "home drive" option in ADUC -- job done (permissions and all).

If not, really DO consider using it
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

For the common folder make sure share permissions are full control for authenticated users. The Security permissions are the same.

For each individual staff member's folder hit the advanced button on the security tab, uncheck the option to inherit permissions, remove them, then add only the staff member who requires access to the folder.

I would also add the administrator with full control to each of these folders - if you need to copy them from the server to another location it will make life a lot easier.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys! This is for my brother's small business so I dont have access or the time to get out there everyday to try things out. I will be out there again this next week and I will take your tips with me and post any other questions or issues I might be having.

And if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to gave them.

Thanks again!
          David

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
            For the common folder make sure share permissions are full control for authenticated users. The Security permissions are the same.

For each individual staff member's folder hit the advanced button on the security tab, uncheck the option to inherit permissions, remove them, then add only the staff member who requires access to the folder.

I would also add the administrator with full control to each of these folders - if you need to copy them from the server to another location it will make life a lot easier.
            Thats a whole heap of work though.

I concur with Tom that if the OP is using AD add a Home Directory and it will do all you need.

Comment

OK guys I am not the best at this but just trying to help out family. I am still having trouble.

They had a guy that set up the share folder. I can open the share folder as a user. I can create a new folder in share folder. But if I try to save a word doc or anything else the computer just hangs. It puts some type of file in the folder but it doesn't open and says it is 0kb for file size.

I must be missing something really easy right??? I guess my first concern is being able to write to this shared folder and then assigning permissions to sub folders within.

Comment

Double check the share permissions -- default is "everyone read"
                From what you say it should have been changed... but....
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So I went through the wizard to create a new shared folder named common. Attached is a image of what the permissions are on the folder. They all have full control but I am still not able to write to this folder from a workstation. Any thoughts?
                  Attached Files

Comment

They seem to be just the share permissions. What are the NTFS permissions?
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

nfts--would those be the ones under the security tab? If they are I think they are set to access all again.

Comment

Step-by-step here

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/i...s-permissions/
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

And do a screen capture of the Active Window. There is no need to take a photo and post that. ALT + PRT SCN will capture the active window. Then just PASTE it into MS Paint and save as a JPG.

Check the EMT\Domain User SHARE Permissions as well as the permissions under the Security Tab. Having that set to READ could be causing a problem.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X