X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS 3.0 clients only receiving a few updates

Hi guys

Hope you can help!

I've set up a WSUS 3.0 server and added a couple of pilot client machines (running XP) via GPO. I've set it to automatically download and authorise all updates for XP, Server 2003 and Office, all classifications except drivers. The machines have never been exposed to the cloud so have never had any updates from vanilla XP (bar SP3 which I installed manually ages ago). WSUS sees them and has installed about 20 updates. So far so good. However, as a control I ran a manual update on another machine (via Automatic Updates going directly to the default XP update site in the cloud) and it pulled down and installed in excess of 70 updates. Do you know what would be the cause of this anomoly please, and what I can do to resolve it?

Many thanks

Re: WSUS 3.0 clients only receiving a few updates

Have you approved the updates in WSUS?
    There are two stages -- detection, where clients will be scanned for updates in the categories you select and approval, where you authorise detected updates for installation
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You also need to wait for updates to be downloaded by WSUS after they've been approved, before they'll be advertised to the clients.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Apologies for the delay in coming back guys - problems with my account meant I couldn't post back!

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Have you approved the updates in WSUS?
        There are two stages -- detection, where clients will be scanned for updates in the categories you select and approval, where you authorise detected updates for installation
        Yes I have. As I said all updates are set to auto approval (apologies I called it "authorise" in the original post but that's what I meant).

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        You also need to wait for updates to be downloaded by WSUS after they've been approved, before they'll be advertised to the clients.
        I know, but this is after a number of days. I kicked this off a couple of weeks ago and since that initial install of 20-odd updates it's just sat there.

Is there a way of checking (presumably somewhere in the WSUS folder it creates locally on the server? or maybe a log file somewhere? Or a report on the console?) exactly what has been approved/downloaded/advertised/installed? That way I could maybe pinpoint at what point it is failing.

Thanks again you guys!

Comment

I suspect the "auto approval" is the setting that applies to client machines -- set via Group Policy.

This is NOT the same as WSUS approval.

I suggest you look in your WSUS console (UPDATE -- ALL UPDATES, set filter for Unapproved / Failed or Needed) and check there isnt a big queue there
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian, you were bang on: there were a bunch of updates (about 50, ties in nicely with the number missing) that hadn't been approved automatically (even though I set it to). I approved them manually and now they're set to install, I'll keep you posted regarding whether they update the clients or not! (I've no reason to think they won't).

When I approved them it asked me to accept a whole bunch of EULA's. Am I to assume there is no way to automate this process? It's not a problem to go into the WSUS console every however-long (fortnightly say?) and approve any updates that require it but it'd be nice to not have to.

Cheers all.
            Last edited by Diewrecked; 15th July 2010, 09:58.

Comment

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way of auto accepting EULAs -- I suggest you schedule a monthly manual task (probably just after Patch Tuesday) to check your WSUS and accept them.

Should be no client issues -- you have already accepted on behalf of the clients
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks again for all your help sir!

Comment

Absolutely no problem -- glad you got it all sorted!
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X