No announcement yet.

Permission Level to install updates-Win 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permission Level to install updates-Win 2003

I have few windows 2003 work group servers in my domain. I want to create a local user account for the patch management admin for the sole purpose of installing windows updates.

Which local group can I make him a member so he has the least level of permission just to download and install updates?

I would like to minimize the permission level because of the security reasons on the servers.

Insaf Muhammed
    System Admin
    Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Re: Permission Level to install updates-Win 2003

considered using WSUS ?

Also - wouldn't this have been covered in your MCSE and MCTS training... ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Permission Level to install updates-Win 2003

Additionally, while I don't object necessarily to limiting what a user can get up to, I do think that someone who's given credentials to logon interactively to a server should be someone you trust not to arse about on there. If you don't have that faiith in them, then don't let them in.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.