Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Server - Need Multiple Drivers

Hi all,

I am building our first Print Server. I have Server 2003 R2 32-bit installed as the OS. I used the "auto-detect" feature in Print Management to locate the majority of my LAN printers. Worked great. I just installed the compatible Server 2003 32-bit drivers for each one and can print to them all just fine.

Now, MOST of the client PCs that will connect to these printers are XP Pro machines that use the same driver, so this is not a problem.

BUT...

I happen to have Windows 7 x64... I also have a half dozen Server 2008 R2 x64 boxes that need to use these printers.

So how do I install those drivers on the Print Server? I tried the "Additional Drivers" under "sharing", but it won't let me do it that way. I also tried "New Driver" under "Advanced", but when I go through the wizard and select the 64-bit driver INF, I get the following message:

The specified location does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the location contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems.
    I have to assume that I want to do is possible. If so, how?

And if it's not possible, then I am missing the solution. Could someone give me a hand, please? THANKS!

Chris

Re: Print Server - Need Multiple Drivers

IIRC you will need an x64 server, preferably Windows 2008.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

have you rtied using the X64 clients with the x32 drivers, just out of interst?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        have you rtied using the X64 clients with the x32 drivers, just out of interst?
        I have indeed. No luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          IIRC you will need an x64 server, preferably Windows 2008.
          Hey Marcel!

I do believe you're right. After much searching (including this thread), it seems that what I want to do here is not possible...

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
            Hey Marcel!

I do believe you're right. After much searching (including this thread), it seems that what I want to do here is not possible...
            I've run into the same issue. You can't host a 64bit driver for a 64bit client on a 32bit server. Doesn't make too much sense to me as to why it doesn't allow you to "serve" the driver for a client's request but you can't.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It does seem a little silly, yeah... Oh well. I'll just install the drivers on the local clients themselves, but connect through the print server. That'll have to do.

Comment

I may have missed something here guys, but I've been able to host 64-bit printer drivers on a 32-bit print server before. In fact, in my experience using a 64-bit OS on the print server just complicates matters; while almost every printer out there will have a Win32 driver, not all will have a Win64 driver.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You can use 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit server (windows 2008 R2), though it isn't easy.
                  One of my colleagues did it a few months ago with one of our customers.

He had to modify certain inf files, but not sure what he had changed, but I can ask it tomorrow.
                  The drivers from the supplier aren't any good, sadly enough.

An other way to work around this is to install the drivers locally but personally I don't like this method.
                  But yet again, I don't do a lot with end user products/services like printers. I'm more an infrastructure guy
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The easiest way to do this is to use printmanagement.msc on a 64-bit Vista machine and add the drivers remotely to the 32-bit print server. You'll have to belogon on tho the Vista client as a member of the Domain Admins group.
                    the x64 driver name must match the x86 driver name.
                    (http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-...ta-64-bit.html)

also, have a look at this document:
                    How to write an INF file that correctly installs 32-bit and 64-bit printer drivers on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                      I may have missed something here guys, but I've been able to host 64-bit printer drivers on a 32-bit print server before.
                      That's great! HOW??

Comment

@Rems

I hear ya. It seems to me that this IS possible, but the amount of work necessary to do it trumps the extra work done by simply installing drivers locally, but queueing through the print server...

Unless gforce has a better explanation, I'll just do it locally.

Comment

Ah, good to know Rems. Thank you.
                          Originally posted by Rems View Post
                          The easiest way to do this is to use printmanagement.msc on a 64-bit Vista machine and add the drivers remotely to the 32-bit print server. You'll have to belogon on tho the Vista client as a member of the Domain Admins group.
                          the x64 driver name must match the x86 driver name.
                          (http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-...ta-64-bit.html)

also, have a look at this document:
                          How to write an INF file that correctly installs 32-bit and 64-bit printer drivers on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows

\Rems
                          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
                            Unless gforce has a better explanation, I'll just do it locally.
                            FYI
                            Printmanagement.msc allows you to manage printers that are running on print servers running Windows 2000 or later.
                            The Print Management snap-in is available in the Administrative Tools folder on computers running Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Server 2008. You can use it to install, view, and manage all of the printers and Windows print servers in your organization.

On the computers running Windows Vista or Windows 7, the Print Management snap-in is automatically installed and available through Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

To install the Print Management snap-in on Windows Server 2008 R2 without configuring the server to be a print server - From Server Manager, use the Add Features Wizard to install the Print Services Tools option of the Remote Server Administration Tools feature.

Note,
                            To manage a remote print server, you must be a member of the Print Operators or Server Operators groups, or the local Administrators group on the remote print server. You do not need these credentials to monitor remote print servers, though some functionality will be disabled.

The solutions so far are,
                            ____

Use Print Management to remotely add a 64-bit driver to the 32-bit Print server. It is required that the driver has the same name as the existing 32-bit driver on the print server.

____

If Print Management does not help then, you have to write an INF file to add the 64-bit driver to the print server. You can write individual INF files for each platform OR, a single multiple-platform INF for all supported platforms.

____

Alternatively install the driver on each 64-bit machine sepeareately. This is a one time action so you don't use a startup script to install the driver.
                            Use prndrvr.vbs to remotely install the printer driver on each 64-bit machine (in a batch). Or, visit each computer and manually install locally if you prefere. I reckon the name of the locally installed driver must match the driver of the shared printer for this to work.

\Rems
                            Last edited by Rems; 3rd July 2010, 13:24.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Good info in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X