Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Set preferred DC in Windows 2003 Server

Hi All,

We have three DC's (Two in the location 1 and one in location 2). We had an issue with some of the clients in location1 getting authenticated with ADC in location 2.

We want to Set the preferred DC for the clients in both the locations in such a way that the clients should be authenticated with the DC's in the respective locations and not with the one in another location.

Please advise on how to proceed with the configuration.

Thanks,
    Ramana.

Re: How to Set preferred DC in Windows 2003 Server

Have you configured two sites in AD? Google will explain how.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You have to configure AD's in both DC's separately in their respective locations without mixing both.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty3 View Post
        You have to configure AD's in both DC's separately in their respective locations without mixing both.
        Do you mean create a different domain at each location? There are plenty of situations where that would not be desirable. Why complicate things when one domain with 2 sites would solve the problem?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I hope he is talking about running DCPROMO at the remote site...
          Alternatively you can move the DC from one site to another
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Active Directory automatically calculates the most appropriate domain controller to authenticate by.

It does this by using the DNS SRV entries. It works out what it's own ip is, and which site it belongs to. It then queries the SRV records for that site, which tells it which DC to logon to.

You can view these entries by expandingf the DNS console and viewing the _ldap_ records, and other similar ones.

The only way to amend this would be to create two separate sites.
            Each site should have it's own IP range (ie, 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24)
            Each domain controller can then be configured to exist in a specific site.

Does this help you out at all ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Do you mean create a different domain at each location? There are plenty of situations where that would not be desirable. Why complicate things when one domain with 2 sites would solve the problem?
              I don't think he necessarily meant this.. it's just the way it was worded

although.. having re-read it.. maybe not.

does make me think though. An AD migration project I was working on, the client had built their domains in the best practice method for Win2000 - a root domain, and then a domain for each country region.

so I can see where the "separate domains and don't mix them" comes from.
              IT depends on the environment though. And I'm guessing that a single forest, single domain, multisite infrastructure is most appproriate here
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

IIRC Microsoft came back from that kind of setup since Windows 2003.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

the setup I described ?

that was a Server 2000 implementation..

Comment

I know, I can remember that kind of setup. I'd never understand why Microsoft recommended that kind of setup, but with 2003 they changed it...
                    Just like I didn't understand why they created the root (.) zone in Windows 2000 DNS...
                    Anyhow this is getting of topic
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                    X