Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain controller reinstallation

Hi all
    We are facing few issue with our two domain controllers. We have 3 domain controller and two of them are in very bad condition. Both of these servers are not sharing sysvol and netlogon folders. I have tried to restore AD on these server (non authorative) but it did not work. Did registery settings and what ever fix I can found on Internet, already applied on these problem domain controller. Now I am planning to reinstall AD on these systems. Is it possible to uninstall AD on server and install back. I remember once I tried to do it on one of my client site and it failed. The error message was that server already exist. Anyone here know the right procedure to uninstall AD on server and install back on same server. Due to some legacy applications and inhouse build programs I cannot change name of our DC. Another thing confusing me is that under sysvol\sysvol\ one script folder and another netlogon folder is present. The script folder is shared as netlogon folder. I am wondering what is difference between that netlogon folder and script folder (whose share name is netlogon). Help on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Re: Domain controller reinstallation

Are the apps on the good DC or a failed one?
    Do you have any other servers that can take on the DC role? (mixing apps and DCs is normally not a good idea)

Since you have a good DC, try the following on the bad ones:
    Uninstall DNS / DHCP / WINS
    DCPROMO - remove
    On good DC, confirm all traces of failed one have been removed
    On ex DC:
    DCPROMO - add back as DC
    Check replication / folders etc
    Install DNS / DHCP / WINS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Carry out a DCDIAG on the servers. Also, where are the FSMO roles, DNS, DHCP and so on. Do you have the 1 domain? Are they at the same site and same subnet as the other DCs?

Usually, you DCPROMO a DC out of the domain and then ensure AD sites and services objects for the server have been removed including DNS entries. In light of your current issue, I would first be tempted to ensure AD data is being replicated.

Comment

the process to demote and repromote the server is as follows:

run DCPROMO to demote the server
        wait for replication
        ensure the metadata is clean
        wait for replication
        run DCPROMO to promote the server.

however, you need to fix the underlying problem first
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks guys.
          Is it any way to speed up this process of removing and adding back those DCs. The applications these two malfunctional DCs are very important. We need to bring those servers back as soon as we can.
          Ossian, your idea is good. can you please guide me how to clean traces of old DCs.
          Virtual, we have only one domain but 3 AD sites with 2 AD sites have domain controllers. One AD site is without any server (yeah i know it is a lame design I inherited this network).
          I have been researching internet. TehCamel, Virtual and Ossian can you guide me how to completely remove traces of old DCs after uninstalling AD and how to confirm that all traces of DCs have been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
            Is it any way to speed up this process of removing and adding back those DCs. The applications these two malfunctional DCs are very important.
            All the more reason, surely, to ensure that the job is done properly and not rushed.

I appreciate that it was not your decision, but I would recommend that once you have the system back up and running you look at moving those applications off the domain controllers. In my opinion, nothing should go on a DC that is not strictly necessary; antivirus and backup software for instance.

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
            can you please guide me how to clean traces of old DCs
            tehcamel has already mentioned the relevant keywords in his post; Google "active directory metadata cleanup" to see what you need to do to remove a failed DC.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks all. I found instructions on Petri's site http://www.pertri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad
              it seems easy process. I will give it ago. I will update you guys sooon

Comment

Working...
              X