Help with WSUS updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with WSUS updates

Pardon my ignorance, but i really need help.

I have to do updates on Server 2003 with WSUS 3. It's set to Use Udate Services console, not Group Policy.

There are workstations with different windows OS and program versions such as Office. How are the updates distributed? Are they downloaded automatically by workstations that only need them or i have to make groups for different systems etc.
    Server is in unassigned group together with a couple of workstations.

When I accept updates do i leave it as it is or change to different group accordingly. They all have workstations selected by default.

I appreciate your help.

Re: Help with WSUS updates

You will need to create some computer groups (up to you how, but I tend to organise by client or server, then further by OS and role) and put the computers into the groups. If you dont do that, you will need to apply updates to the "all computers" or "unassigned computers" groups

Updates will only be installed IF needed, so no issues with having something in the "wrong" group.

How big is your environment?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,
      the office has over 30 computers, there will be more by the end of the year. Mostly i was worrying about server problems from updates it doesnt need. Glad to hear i dont have to worry about update issues.
      Yea, we have to organize computer by groups. It was set that way when i came.

I appreaciate.

Comment

No problem!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X