Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files permssions

Windows 2003 server
    I created new folder c:\data and shared and gave everyone (permissions) full control. Inside have a folder " printshop" and "apps". Using NTFS, i gave the group "PrintShop" which has member user "Printhsop1" full control. When I login as the user "printshop1 cannot access the folder "data". Why? If I login with admin rights I can all the files.
    Last edited by superhl; 25th June 2010, 20:31.

Re: Files permssions

.. what ntfs permissions does your data share have ?

set traverse folder for printshop and you should be able to connect.
    Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

RUn the effective permissions tool (security - advanced) and check there is no inherited permission screwing things up
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, under the advanced options on the security tab on Printshop make sure to tick the checkbox to 'Replace all...'. Sometimes, permissions which are added to a (sub)folder after a share has been set up will not take effect until they have been forcibly applied using this method.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

NTFS permissions on data= Administrator,Creator owner, system (full control)
          NTFS permissions on PrintShop = administrator (full control), creator owner, system, PrintShop (full control)
          Sharing permissions on Data =(authenticated Users, Everyone and users (full control)

Comment

In my opinion it has something to do with either gettings rights from above or sharing permissions.

Test it when you add the user printshop1 to the sharing permissions and see if you can gain access.

If so there is something wrong in the AD.

Fot the ntfs permission I always make sure that I don't let it get rights from a folder above. So copy those rights and don't let it use the inherited permissions.

Comment

Have you checked effective permissions and inheritance, as suggested in #3 and #4 above?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK. I found the problem. On the "data" folder -share permissions, I changed "everyone" group to "domain users" full control. I then gave the user "printshop1" ntfs rights to the " Printshop" folder (all but full control). I logged in as user Printshop1 and still could not access the "Data" folder (access denied). Then from the run command, I completed \\server\data\printshop and I could see the files. I was thinking I could browse through the folder \data\printshop but I can't. Thanks

Comment

sounds like you didn't have the "traverse" as polinted out above
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

How do I set traverse rights? How about Access-based Enumeration?

Comment

Originally posted by superhl View Post
                      How about Access-based Enumeration?
                      Google "windows server 2003 access based enumeration" for some hints? It's an add-on you can install onto 2003 R2 servers. If you also have Windows Server 2008 servers, it's built in to the OS.
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I installed Access based-enumeration and applied to all shared folders.
                        I mapped a drive: NET USE I: \\Encsd3\Data\Apps /PERSISTENT:NO
                        On the security tab i gave user tlassiter full control to "OCS". When tlassiter logs in he does not get a mapped drive. Now if I map a drive: NET USE I: \\Encsd3\Data\Apps\OCS /PERSISTENT:NO , the mapping works and he can see his folders. Why can I map a drive for example "NET USE I: \\Encsd3\Data\Apps /PERSISTENT:NO" and it work allowing the users who have access to their folders see only those folders?

Comment

At the "data' folder I get the mapping to work if I give "domain users" list folder rights; however, they see all the folders(can't see what is in the folder) and the user tlassiter can see what is in his folder. Now if I can figure out how to prevent the user from see all the folders

Comment

Working...
                          X