Server 2003 Standard sysprep help request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Standard sysprep help request

I am looking to get some advice about how to sysprep a Server 2003 Standard system. I have found the appropriate files in the deploy.cab file and have extracted them to a CD. I've booted the system up into Safe Mode to a command prompt and have attempted to run the utility. I get an error stating that the version of the utility is incompatible to the version of the operating system.

What is currently installed on the system is an MSDN version of Server 2003 Standard. I am getting the deploy.cab file directly from the original installation CD. I have also tried using the deploy.cab file from SP1 which I downloaded from this website.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Phaldyne

Re: Server 2003 Standard sysprep help request

The sysprep utility should run in Normal and not safe mode.
    Also, beside the s/n there no reason to belive that you may have problem with the installation cd.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892778

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I have run sysprep in safe mode for XP and its always worked fine for me, especially for the systems that have surpassed their 30-day trial period and activation has become required and there's no way to get to the desktop. This is where I am at right now. I can't get to the desktop to run the utility.

I heard from someone else that because this is an MSDN installation, sysprep might not work based on its purpose for installation, testing and development. Renewing the SIDs shouldn't be needed for an MSDN installation but I need it for this one.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

-Phaldyne

Comment

Hi phrancie
        i have used sysprep cuple of times... with MSDN versions and normal versions.
        always used it in normal mode not safe mode.

and about "because this is an MSDN installation, sysprep might not work"
        i never had a problem with that...

and about "Renewing the SIDs shouldn't be needed for an MSDN installation"
        have nothing to do if its a MSDN installation or a normal.

i renew sids only if the computer is connected to the network...
        but if you run sysprep for creating a image i would renew sids anyway.

and how to log in to a locked xp (activation problem)... i am not sure if its possible without third party tools.
        Last edited by yaniv; 18th September 2005, 12:37.
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
        X