No announcement yet.

Backup or 2nd Domain controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup or 2nd Domain controller

I have created a second domain controller and made it a global catalologue server - but if the main one is closed down other servers and users can't log on.

What else do I need to to do - so that if my main DC is unavailable everything still works OK.

All servers are 2003.

Thanks for any help

Re: Backup or 2nd Domain controller

got the DNS service installed and functioning on both DCs ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Maybe setup DHCP as well on the 2nd server with the service switched off. Set it to ping clients before allocating addresses, should you ever need to activate it. Make sure DNS primary address is the 2nd DC.

Should the primary then be down long term or for a considerable amount of time, you may then need to consider seizing FSMO roles where the DC that currently holds them, then needs wiping and mustn't be brought back on the domain.

Is it DC services only on the 1st DC or file shares and other services as well?

IMHO set up DHCP with a split scope rather than having it turned off
        Clients point to both DCs for DNS
        Make sure DNS is AD Integrated
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **