No announcement yet.

Mixed environment CAL help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed environment CAL help

Evening all,

We run a server 2003 based environment, covered by eopen and paper user CALS. ie 1 2003 CAL per user, 120 in all(ish)

We have added a single 2008 server, so 7 2003, 1 2008. Do we now need to buy a full set of 120 2008 user CALs, just because of the one server, even though our domain is mainly 2003?

Licensing does my head in!

Re: Mixed environment CAL help

No you dont.
    As far as your servers are in the same and one domain your existing CALs will cover it.
    Hope it helps.
    The chase is better than the catch

Re: Mixed environment CAL help

I wouldnt be too sure about that...
      Windows 2003 and 2008 CALs are not the same, so while I think you can downgrade (use a 2008 CAL to access a 2003 server) the reverse is not the case.
      See this thread:

MS licensing is a complex issue and you are best getting a definitive answer (preferably in writing) direct from Microsoft

ip2host, if you can give an official reference for yoru assertion, a lot of people will be very happy!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **