No announcement yet.

NTBackup catalog files

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTBackup catalog files

I've discovered NTBackup is filling up my C: drive with many old backup catalogs (in the Docs\All Users\App Data\MSFT\NTBackup\catalogs51 folder).

Is there any way to tell NTBackup how long to keep catalogs (IE 10 days or 30 days) and have it delete the old ones? I just freed up over 1 gig of space by removing catalogs that were over a month old. I've spent quite some time, and can't find any answer.

In the registry, under HKEY\Current_User\Software\Microsoft\NTBackup\Log Files there is a key to limit the Log File Count - that is currently set to 10, but the catalogs seem to be allowed to stay forever.

The closest that I did find to my goal is mentioned here: http://microsoft-server-operating-sy...1/Default.aspx where it has a script entry to remove ALL catalogs except the most recent one. However, I have 2 problems with that - 1) I'm using NTBackup utility, not a script and 2)I want to preserve a month's worth of catalogs.

Any takers? All suggestions/info appreciated.

Re: NTBackup catalog files

Not sure about getting NTBackup to do it for you, but I would imagine you could write a batch file relatively easily to do what you want, based on comparisons between the current date and the date the catalog files were created.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Also NTBackup will recatalog a bkf file if it cannot find one (restore on different machine, for example) so deleting them will not lose anything (except time)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

OK, thanks for the feedback. I've never written a script or a batch file for my server, so I'll start researching that now.

Thanks again.