Printer driver question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer driver question...

I am getting ready to move my 2003 SP2 x86 printer queue to a 2008 SP2 x64 VM. I am adding x64 printer drivers for the ones that I can but... a lot of our HP printers only have the universal printer driver available in x64.

When I attempt to "add" that driver, of course I get an error stating that the driver I am adding is not the correct one... and if I am reading them Internets right it is becuase the driver name is not exactly the same.

so... if HP only gives out universal print drivers in x64 ... what do I do?

The only answer I can come up with is to:
    1. Delete all labled HP x86 and x64 drivers then
    2. Select the Universal Print Driver for all printers... ?
    could that even work?

Am I even in the right forum for this???

TIA,
    -d

Re: Printer driver question...

Personally I'd suggest keeping the print server 32-bit unless there's a specific reason why you can't. In any case, you could install the universal driver to get the printers onto the server, then add the specific 32-bit drivers for each printer to the server for installation on the clients?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

you may have problems when you try and connect a 64 bit client to the print server, it won't find the drivers if you only use the x32 drivers... :/
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The 64-bit clients would use the same 64-bit drivers that were used to install the printer on the server. Keep in mind that since the problem is the unavailability of 64-bit drivers rather than a compatibility issue between these drivers and the server OS, then this problem will occur regardless of the server OS.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Personally I'd suggest keeping the print server 32-bit unless there's a specific reason why you can't. In any case, you could install the universal driver to get the printers onto the server, then add the specific 32-bit drivers for each printer to the server for installation on the clients?
          No other reason than why not? I had a win2k8 x64 VM setup already and that was going to be one of its roles. I suppose I can make Win2k3 x86 VM just for printing.

but I would like to know, how do you get the x64 universal print driver to "sync" with a dozen other printers? I got the driver installed but none of the printers will let me select it as a viable x64 driver. The printers all have x86 drivers, I just can't import them untill they have an x64 counterpart.

-d
          Last edited by dsmythe; 18th June 2010, 17:32.

Comment

What happens when you try to use the universal driver?

How are you trying to install the printers on the server?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              What happens when you try to use the universal driver?

How are you trying to install the printers on the server?
              Can't get that far.. when I attempt to select the unviersal driver to any printer I get an error stating it's not the right driver even though HP.COM says it is when I click on Windows server 2008 x64.

..and the boss had a good point, we've had issues with the univ. driver in the past as well. so I think untill we cycle out all our old printers we should stick w/ x86 for the print queue's.

thanks again for the help!
              -d

Comment

HP make decent printers but AWFUL drivers for them

Their only redeeming feature is the use of standard TCP/IP ports rather than requiring proprietary port drivers on the server. And other manufacturers do that, too...
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X