No announcement yet.

RRAS Connects, but can't go anywhere!?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRAS Connects, but can't go anywhere!?

I have Win2k3 setup with RRAS with a single NIC (behind a good firewall). As a quick fix to a short-term issue, I setup RRAS to do nothing but allow for VPN Access into the network.

When I connect from the outside, the VPN connects, authenticates and gives me an IP Address from the local DHCP Pool. From there, I can ping the gateway of the RRAS Server, the local IP of the RRAS Server and the localhost...but that's it. Everything else times out.

I ran the custom config for RRAS and only selected the VPN option. It is enabled as a router as well (be default) and, like I said, it authenticates to AD and everything great. Just no traffic other than locally.

This has been an easy setup for me in the past. I compared settings to 2 other servers we've setup in the past and they look identical, except this one shows a 'Connected' 'INTERNAL' Interface and a Local Area connection interface. The others either have no 'internal' or the 'internal' is not active (where it is on this server).

Re: RRAS Connects, but can't go anywhere!?

When you try to ping other hosts, how are you doing it? By IP / hostname / FQDN?

Is the subnet of the network you're dialling in to the same or different to the subnet you're dialling in from? I would anticipate that most people dialling in would be doing so from home, where they probably have a broadband router using a 192.168.0 or 192.168.1 subnet.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pinging by IP address.

Subnet is different (192.168.0.x at remote site, 10.0.250.x at vpn site).

I've always seen the Internal connection - see screenshot.

Could your firewall be blocking outgoing connections from the server to the network?
        Attached Files
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy