Can't Delete OUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Delete OUs

Hi: running W3K spk 2. Logged on as domain admin or enterprise admin, I can create new OUs and move computers and users but when deleting old empty OUs, with no policies linked to them, it denies me access to delete the OU saying I do not have enough security privileges.

What else should I have to do this? I have also ran thru the delegate and given admins all permissions.

thanks

Re: Can't Delete OUs

check the permissions and reapply default permissions or take ownership of the OU.

I know that if you were using 2008, you can prevent an OU from being deleted.
    Do you have any 2008 domain controllers... ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You don't have a 2008 DC anywhere in the domain, do you?
      Anyway, have a read of this and try reversing it:
      http://www.petri.com/protect-windows...n-recovery.htm
      Last edited by Ossian; 15th June 2010, 16:08.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I dug deeper and found the EVERYONE group has over 40 DENY applied to it. That must be why. I guess I have to document all denies and remove EVERYONE then add it and reapply all denies. Tedious work!

Thanks EVERYONE!

Comment

or I could just simply remove EVERYONE from the OU permissions and then delete it.

Comment

who the hell did that ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Just came on board and I'm cleaning up after the old manager. And I mean CLEANING UP and documenting. 30 years on the job and there is NO DOCUMENTATION!

Comment

it's because he'd been there 30 years.. built and managed the infrastructure and knows it inside out.

writing documentation is something I've often had to push myself to do, I just remind myself that just because I understand it, doesn't mean someone else hasn't.

A few times, a (relatively non-technical) manager has asked me to dumb down my documentation. I dumbed it down a little, then put a caveat at the top of each document: "The following document assumes the reader has a skill level relevant to the tasks or actions being performed, and a thorough knowledge of the Windows Server platform. For this reason, in-depth steps may not necessarily be provided, as it is assumed that the reader has the requisite levels of knowledge. "

I also always tried to split my documentation into "admin/engineer level" and "covering for me today" level, so the documentation on how to perform basic regular monitoring and maintenance for internal, and clients, did contain almost step by step information, however documents for engineers on how to install a server to meet the build requirements, didn't. They'd simply say "install the Server OS and configure to relevant standards as defined in standards document"

Of course.. there were several documents I wrote step by step guides on, just to be silly.. like "how to answer the phone" replete with a photo of the telephone.,...
                (friday afternoon, pub lunch, pointlessbusywork :P)

Comment

Working...
                X